cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get broadband?

N/A

Should I get broadband?

I'm currently on dial-up and most of the time it's fine for checking email and stuff, but sometimes I could do with a bit more speed. I've been looking at the PAYG broadband and wondering if it's worth the extra £5?

Also there's no info on whether I need to get my own router or anything. Does anyone know?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Should I get broadband?

Also there's no info on whether I need to get my own router or anything. Does anyone know?

Only you can decided if the £5 is worth it.

If you can afford to do so, do buy your own router as it will mean you can be on a monthly contract and not get any 'surprises' in 'leaving fees' if you need to move from PlusNet.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Alecto
Grafter

Should I get broadband?

If you try it and don't like it, it's not just the £5 it will cost.

There is a one-off activation fee of £47 to pay, and the one-off cost of a router to buy - say £40 to £50 depending on type. So it will actually cost you about £100 to find out.

If you choose the Plusnet "free" activation", they will pay the £47 for you - read the conditions on the home page - but you will have to pay some or all of it back if you leave before 5 yrs are up.

Depends how much time you have to devote to the internet as to whether it's worth it. Broadband will let you do things you didn't know you could do, and didn't know you would want to do, and I'd be surprised if, having tried it, you'd want to go back to dialup. But it's possible. Can't you talk to friends with broadband, or even try it out at a friend's? That would be the one way to see.

Or perhaps your local library has a broadband connection for you to spend a few hours on.

But what's £100 these days anyway? (Yes, I know, a lot to some people)................
I hesitated for ages before getting broadband, and now wonder why I did. Why not give it a go? You can always come on here and blame me if you think you wasted your money :lol:
Community Veteran

Should I get broadband?

I hesitated for ages before getting broadband, and now wonder why I did.

Do you wonder why you got broadband, or wonder why you hesitated? :?
shellsong
Grafter

Should I get broadband?

The reason we took the broadband route was that it was quite a bit faster than dialup and also allowed us to be online and use the phone at the same time

We enjoyed the experience of higher speeds and the ability to achieve large downloads but recent peak time bandwidth restrictions and contention have soured things somewhat and I look forward to less constraints in the near future! Wink
Alecto
Grafter

Should I get broadband?

Do you wonder why you got broadband, or wonder why you hesitated? :?

There's always one! :roll:
Community Veteran

Should I get broadband?

There's always one what Geoff :?:

It's a simple question I asked, as I found what you wrote ambiguous!
blaze30682
Grafter

Should I get broadband?

i went from aol isdn to plus.net BB, first few months where brilliant.

then had a few months of total garbage, then settled down again and was good till abt a month ago.

now i find most of my online games, due to being old or less popular are given very low priority, hence majour lag and disconnections.

i have raised a ticket with support and hope it can be resolved, if not ill have to stump up and pay my way out Sad.

tbh id give it ago, may be ok for you, but if u plan on playing online games as i do, u might find it an unwize choice.