cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoddy ping?

N/A

Shoddy ping?

Just migrated in from bt yahoo because I was getting fairly erratic ping all the time, bt confirmed no problems with the line etc, got plusnet activated today, if i ping it bbc.co.uk from dos im averaging 45, a friend with plusnet premier (same as me) in birmingham gets 16-20 constantly.

Kinda stuck for ideas atm, my ping results currently are worse than they were on bt yahoo, which is disappointing considering (ego mode on) I play games at a professional level (ego mode off) so obviously ping is very important for me.

Any ideas anybody?
63 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Shoddy ping?

Have you tried any BT Speed Tests? This will give us a lot more information about the problem.

Also, try running a traceroute (tracert in windows) to the site you are getting bad pings from to see where the problem is.

As well as this, check your exchange status at the usertools exchange checker.
Community Veteran

Shoddy ping?

Ben, how will running a speed test help solve ping problems?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Shoddy ping?

To see if speeds as well as pings are being affected.
N/A

Shoddy ping?

The trace route seems fine, in that there aren't really any hops better or worse than the others, just 35 is higher than I had hoped considering the friend i mentioned averages 16 constantly.

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.83]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 58 ms 40 ms 35 ms lo0-plusnet.pth-ag3.plus.net [195.16
2 32 ms 33 ms 32 ms ge0-0-0-403.pte-gw1.plus.net [84.92.
3 36 ms 36 ms 34 ms ge0-0-0-22.ptn-gw2.plus.net [212.159
4 33 ms 35 ms 35 ms rt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.25]
5 33 ms 34 ms 34 ms 212.58.238.149
6 40 ms 36 ms 33 ms www53.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.83]

I've not tried the BT speedtest yet, i've bookmarked it and will have a look later, as for the local exchange info :

VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
Port capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Amber.
Click here for further details

It all seems okay, just the ping is disappointing, for example on our UK based ut2004 server, 6 months ago I had a ping of 20, now it very rarely goes under 40, connection to european servers is even higher. Two team mates with plus premier get a constant ping of 20, mine NEVER goes under 40.

Thanks for taking a look at this, i'll check out the BT speed test later if you don't have any more ideas?

EDIT

I did a bt speedtest at http://www.btyahoo.com/speedtest and got the medium file at 245kbps constantly, download speed isnt the issue its literally just ping.

Dave
N/A

Shoddy ping?

just bumping this before it slides into oblivion.
N/A

Shoddy ping?

just so you know u arent allowed to use the "B" word to move it up the forum, use a more descript way to do it and you will be fine

hope this helps
N/A

Shoddy ping?

Roger that, apologies, I'm just eager to try and get this frustrating problem resolved.
N/A

Shoddy ping?

no probs mate

hope u get it sorted soon

see?
N/A

Shoddy ping?

no ideas +net?
N/A

Shoddy ping?

just an idea
It could be the traffic management and prioritisation thats affecting your ping times, if something has to inspect a packet then its going to slooooooooow that packet down

My pings are 35-40+ on jolt.co.uk, most of my mates get sub 15-20
kinda takes the edge of the gaming
N/A

Shoddy ping?

I was having the same problems on BT prior to migrating here, so its not really their traffic management system. Im on premier so I wouldnt have thought it would affect me that much other than p2p.
N/A

Shoddy ping?

Sounds dumb, but have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting? This will probably stick you on a different (and hopefully less congested) router.

I had an weird situation a few days ago: two PN accounts in different locations, both connected to the same core router. Traceroute showed this router to be the only hop between the two accounts, yet pings were a whopping 800ms+! After reconnecting one of the connections it was put on a different core router - pings dropped to a reasonable level despite having to pass through loads more intermediate routers!

Looking at your traceroute, the delay is between you and the core router. So it's prob (guessing here!) a combination of a busy core router and the traffic shaping box.
N/A

Shoddy ping?

Yeah ive tried reconnects, and lo0-plusnet.pth-ag3.plus.net always ends up as my first hop.
N/A

Shoddy ping?

Dunno exactly how the router assignment works, perhaps someone from PN could give some info...? I thought it was round-robbin, tho you gotta be really (un)lucky to get the same router several times in a row! Smiley

Maybe try leaving yourself disconnected for a while (15-30mins?) so that if there's some sort of cache it has a chance to clear.

If connecting to a different router doesnt help your pings then it's probably a BT issue...