cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shambles

N/A

Shambles

I informed PlusNet that BT had upgraded my line to a possible 2Mbps service via the usual "ticket", fairly quickly got a reply saying my 512Kbps service had been upgraded (free) and that I only need reconnect to benefit from the faster speed.

Since then I have had varying (slow) speeds which just now (on the Plusnet Speed test) showed 380Kbps!!! Prior to all this I have reliably had 460 to 480Kbps.

I have raised a ticket (2 in fact) which still haven't been replied to. The whole process is so slow as to be unbearable, anyone else got problems with replies to open tickets?

Another question . . . . has anyone else suffered from slow speeds after a speed upgrade?

Lastly, just done the BT Speed Test which gives 460Kbps which leads me to think that there is a problem with PlusNet?

-------------
Steve
16 REPLIES
ceridwen
Grafter

Shambles

If the BT speed tester is reporting 460Kbps rather than 1800Kbps, then the problem would lie with BT or your Exchange.

Have you checked your Exchange using this tool: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Matthew
N/A

Shambles

All i can say is phone plusnet and then they will deal with you there and then, plusnet are usually good with the ticket system and answer them quickly although in my experience if its anything technical about your ADSL it can take ages
N/A

Upgrade Process to 2MB's

Hi steve,

Sorry! to hear about your experience but this is of interest to me as I have just requested a regrade from an old product 512K ADSL home self install annual contract with Force9 to F9's new Boardband Premium 2MB service with a monthly contract. I was reliably told that once BT had made the required changes to my phone line that I would still need to contact CS inorder for them to turn on the speed their end of the system, as Force9 have more control than previously. I'm just wondering if this is what you now need to do? I would like to suggest that you give PN customer service a call and tell them that you've just had your service regraded and that you havent had the 2MB's as yet and can they have a look at this for you. Let me know how you get on with that.

**My regrade is still in the BT force9 pipeline.

Regards Ivan
PN Moderator Member
N/A

Shambles

I asked for an upgrade from 512K to 2MB on Saturday, and received a mail on
Tuesday to say it had all gone through. But despite my router reporting
download rate of 2MB, all the speed tests I ran were still showing 512K. I came
across a few other forum entries where people said this might be because
Plusnet needed to enable the increased speed at their end, so I raised a ticket
and asked them to do this.

The response I got (took all of twenty minutes) said that they thought everything
looked OK from their end and suggested I try using another speed
tester at www.adslguide.org. This gave the same result. So on the assumption
that Plusnet had set things up properly, I had a fiddle at my end, specifically by
rebooting my router. As soon as it came back I found I had the increased speed.

So: maybe worth checking your hardware, and if that all looks OK then raise a
ticket, and see what they say.

hope this helps
nick
N/A

Shambles

You say you asked foran upgrade.
Do you have to ask for one?

I thought it was done automatically?
N/A

Shambles

If the BT speed test is showing 460kbs then that would point to a BT problem. i.e they havent upgraded u or it went wrong. If the BT speed test was showing approx 1800 and PN speedtest was showing 460 then PN havent changed your profile (this happened to me) .

TBH it would be quicker to phone then wait for a 'speed' ticket as I think it goes thru tech support and I never had one answered in the less than 24 hours (always given up by then and phoned them), while other departments tickets are alot faster usualy a couple of hours.

check http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212 to see how quiet the phones are. 0 calls outstanding as I post this.

zzzzx if u ask for an upgrade u have to pay for it, its free if u wait for BT to upgrade it...whenever they get round to ur exchange.
N/A

Shambles

thanks imanners Smiley
N/A

Shambles

You say you asked foran upgrade.
Do you have to ask for one?

yes, I paid the 14.99 (the timetable indicated that the free upgrade schedule would apply to my exchange in July)

nick
N/A

Shambles

Yes the ticket system is rubbish, i've had one there for four days and its not been replied to.

Also when i went through the process of 'upgrading' for some reason, the action has been put on hold until the 7th, 9 days after i asked for a regrade etc.
N/A

Shambles

Also when i went through the process of 'upgrading' for some reason, the action has been put on hold until the 7th, 9 days after i asked for a regrade etc.

The "held for 7 days" thing is just there as an 'alarm' for Plusnet. They should reply to you as soon as they receive the reply from BT saying that the work has been actioned. Holding the ticket for 7 days just means that tf there is no reply from BT in that time and nothing else has happened, it flags itself up as needing a reply.

Think of it as an alarm clock that that wakes the ticket up in case bt dont do it.
N/A

Shambles

Firstly, thanks to ceridwen. I now see that my exchange requires multiple visits. I am as certain as I can be that this was not flagged up when I last looked in April.

I used the BT exchange "profiler" which told me my line was now up to 2Mbps which I now know is not the case . . . . . yet!

Next . . . . . twbhorner, I agree with you that the ticket system is near useless. The delay is way too long for even the simplest of dialogues and now that I have experienced it I will always try to avoid using it in the future.

Further to this, the ticket I raised also included the fact that my 512Kbps connection was now slowed to 380Kbps but PlusNet have not commented on that! So what use is this ticket system if points reported are ignored?

In conclusion I have to say thanks for the information you have all given me. It has resulted in me knowing what is going on (I think!). Until the shambolic goings on began (I won't go into detail as by now its been done to death) I was satisfied with the service from Plusnet. However I feel that there are some serious issues, a great deal of confusion and without this forum I would be none the wiser.

Plusnet seem to have lost the plot regarding customer service but I will stay put with the expectation that things will now improve Smiley

____
Steve
N/A

Shambles

slightly of topic and i m sorry for that but Ivan how come u have not changed your sig if u r a plusnet mod?? to be honest it is the first time i have seen u here lol
LiamM
Grafter

Shambles

As far as I am aware Ivan has taken over the role of Moderator on the FOL and F9 forums but not here. Perhaps I am wrong?

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure he would have "Forum Moderator" (like me) or "Moderating Administrator" underneath his name.
Community Veteran

Shambles

Yes that is correct, he is a moderator on f9 and free-online. Probably best if you update your signiture to that effect Ivan. He and anyone else who moderates those forums won't cross over here for moderating, but is free to post here like everyone else.