cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall I bother upgrading to Premier?

N/A

Hey,

I have been a Broadband Plus customer for several months and have found the service to be reliable and fast (for HTTP/email traffic which is all I really use). I have, however, recently wished to download various files via Bit Torrent and have found the download speed to be throttled at a regular 1 or 2 KB/sec with the occasional spike to 5-10KB/sec. This I know is due to the heavy traffic shaping on Broadband Plus.

My question is, if were to upgrade to Premier at this moment in time, would I see a significant increase? What sort of p2p download speeds would I be looking at? There appears to be a mix of people who receive varying p2p download speeds on the Premier package.

Regards,
32 REPLIES
N/A

That always depends on the number of peers and seeds - Mine usually Max's out around 120 on a very well seeded torrent - Cheesy
N/A

That always depends on the number of peers and seeds - Mine usually Max's out around 120 on a very well seeded torrent - Cheesy

Hey,

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I know about the seeds and peers issue, but like you said, even with a very well seeded file your download still appears to be only 120KB/sec, so that is quite considerable traffic shaping for a 2Mb line.
N/A

I'm only on a 1.1Mb line for some reason, althought every test I have ever done says I should be able to get 2Mb. But for the moment I'm happy to just have a line that works - Cheesy
N/A

Ah, well thats different then Cheesy

Hopefully there are others who often have their connection maxed out when downloading highly seeded files through torrents.
N/A

Well, for what its worth, I just upgraded to Premier. Will hopefully see a large increase in p2p speeds Tongue
N/A

Haha it was a trick - welcome to the land of disconnections and minimum speed, to go back to + is going to cost you £8645.23p - Cheesy

Just messing - I hope it all works out for you, and you get some decent speeds - Cheesy

Just remember about the 30Gig peak - 100Gig off peak - Cheesy
N/A

I dont know about p2p programs other than bit torrent. I am on a 2mb premier line, and can max out (approx 238 k/s) on a well seeded torrent during off peak hours. Peak isn't too bad either, gets up to about 80 k/s Wink
N/A

80kb/s isn't bad?!? at peak :x Dam you're easily pleased. :?
N/A

I get abut 50k to 80k at peak time
abut 200k to 240k other times. on P2P
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Shall I bother upgrading to Premier?

Hey,

I have been a Broadband Plus customer for several months and have found the service to be reliable and fast (for HTTP/email traffic which is all I really use). I have, however, recently wished to download various files via Bit Torrent
From your description of usage you are probably a low bandwidth user. If you check yor usage and it is less than 5 - 6 GB per month on average it may be worth trying PAYG (doesn't cost to switch) as it should give better P2P download speeds than either BB+ or Premiere as all traffic is on the silver queue.
N/A

No. whatever you do don't upgrade to Premier thinking it will be MUCH better , IT WONT!
Community Veteran

The OP has already upgraded to premier and is quite happy with what they are recieving so far if you read through the whole thread.
N/A

Spend your money on beer mate. At least you will get some enjoyment from it!!!!

Tony
Discostoo
Grafter

Hey kids upgrade from dial up to premier 2MB now and your download speeds will decrease from 4kbps to 0.7kbps!! MAGIC! Plus net will also help you with your burden of that money in your bank account by taking it for you! It only took me 12 1/2 mins to get to this page from login!!