cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up FileZilla FTP Server

probert

I am having a few issues trying to setup FileZilla FTP Server.

Basically, i cannot connect to my ftp remotely. I have gone through all the starter guides etc, and open the ports on my router, and even opened ALL PORTS to try and get the thing working, and still i cannot connect.

I have tried to connect using the loopback address and this connects fine, so assume that the logins that i created are working.

I have spoken to a couple of colleagues at work, and they have checked and can't see any reason for it not to work, so i am just wondering if there is anything else i need to do? or is there something in the member centre i need to setup?

The firewall option within Member Centre is switch off, is there something i am missing? i though i would try the forums before raising a ticket.

Regards

ps. i do have a stange feeling that it maybe something so simple, but i am sure i have covered all angles. (i hope so anyway!!)
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The only thing I can think of is to ensure that the ports are forwarded to the correct internal IP address, especially if you haven't mapped static internal IPs to your PCs from the router. If that's in place (and you've opened the ports on the windows firewall, if you're using windows XP, or any other internal firewalls) then I'm not sure what it could be. There aren't any problems with the account that I can see.

Apologies that I couldn't offer anything further,
probert

Yes, i did forget to mentioned that bit, all my PC's that connect to my router are given static ip address (Netgear DG834G ), and to confirm that, i did remove all port forwarding to add it again just be sure.

Does any one know of any other sites like this http://www.web2ftp.com which allow me to test my ftp connection? or any utilities to check?
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Off the top of my head the only one I can think of is http://whatsmyip.org/ports/ which will test any ports specified, though this won't tell you if the service is responding. I'll have a quick look and let you know if there's any other tests.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looking about has found http://www.g6ftpserver.com/en/ftptest though this was the only one, I'd recommend setting up a very temporary account for this (apologies if that's an obvious thing to state).

Hope this helps,
probert

Cheers for that, will try it tonight and let you know.
Liam
Grafter

One other thing to try in your FTP client. Switch from Passive to Active mode, or Vice-Versa.

Active Mode uses only ports 20 and 21 inbound whereas Passive will try to select a random port. This can create issues with some Firewalls. Open ports 20 and 21, forward them to the FTP server and give Active mode a try. You'll probably need a proper FTP client to do this, rather than using the in-built features of Explorer.

See : http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html for more on Active vs Passive FTP.
probert

Ok, reinstalled the whole alot, and it works!!! Cheesy
Restarted Windows firewall and then it failed, re-added both ftp ports and thats ok.

All i can assume that some went wrong during the install the first time, check event viewer for any errors and nothing at all.

but thanks to those who replied, and thanks for the website to test your ftp connection.