cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up AVR-8000 ethernet modem in bridge mode...

N/A

I am having no luck in getting this modem to work in bridged mode with my ADSL service.

(Bought from digidave on ebay AVR-8000 )

Currently I am using a Speedtouch 330 USB with my Smoothwall firewall/router to connect to plus.net. I want to move to using an ethernet modem in bridged mode.

I cannot get the AVR-8000 to work in bridged mode with either my Smoothwall or a Linksys WRT54GS (with has been flashed with dd-wrt :-) ), both using PPPoE to dialup though the bridged router. The error from the smoothwall is "Timeout waiting for response to PADO packets". The Linksys give no errors but just will not connect.

Is anyone else using the AVR-8000 in bridged mode successfully?

I beleive plus.net are using the standard BT wholesale DSLAM at my exchange (i.e. not LLU).

The TEST LED on the router stays lit permanently, but the manual says it should extinguish after an initial startup phase - although I think this is a red herring as I can get the modem to connect directly using VC-mux encapsulation/VPI/VCI=0/38/PPPoA, but of course it is not in bridged mode.

But when using Bridged VC-Mux mode, I get no IP address assigned through to the router, which in this case now has to use PPPoE to authenticate through the bridged modem.

I've also tried using LLC encapsulation which won't work with a direct PPPoA connection and makes no difference in bridged mode.

Can anyone help?

Chris.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Won't work in bridge mode. You either have to use half bridge or DMZ.
N/A

Won't work in bridge mode. You either have to use half bridge or DMZ.

Any reasoning behind your statement? Is it the plus.net side of things that's not compatible or the modem?

The modem's manual specifically states it's RFC1483 bridging enabled. It does not mention half bridging (which IIRC is where the modem handles initial authentication but then sends the DHCP IP address allocation through to the router behind the bridged interface?)

Don't think a DMZ is anything to with it at all.

Chris.
N/A

Your modem will bridge PPPoA but your router only support PPPoE. I use the non speedboost version of the router with a Zoom 3X modem and I tried several configurations to work in bridge mode without any success. In the end I resorted to using DMZ. The modem will establish a link but the router will not log on.
N/A

Your modem will bridge PPPoA but your router only support PPPoE.

The bridging in the modem knows nothing of the protocols it's bridging, it just blindly forwards frames between the WAN/LAN interfaces.

PPPoA is what's used over the modem <--> RAS link (because ATM is the underlying modem <--> DSLAM link protocol), PPPoE is what's used over the router <--> modem link (because Ethernet is the underlying link protocol). What matters is the PPP link end-to-end from router <--> RAS.

Chris.
N/A

If you ever get in working let me know. My setup is a WRT54G router with a Zoom X3 modem. Can get the two working in half bridge (and DMZ) but not in full bridge mode. When the modem is in bridge mode it's establish a PPP connection but the problem is with the router not able to do the authentication. Can't see what is actually happening as the logging for the WRT54G is not very good.
N/A

I've had a number of people suggest trying LLC encapsulation again - can anyone clarify exactly what the difference between VC-muc & LLC is?

Thanks,

Chris.
N/A

Well, I managed to briefly get it working in ZIPB mode - which I beleive is a kind of "half-bridged" mode.

Looks like you were right and full bridge is a non-starter :-(

Thing is it drops the line frequently, and then takes minutes to sync. back up - whereas my old USB modem stays up for weeks and when it does drop it syncs back up in seconds.

Over on the digidave support forums (where he deleted a post of mine saying his ad on ebay was misleading saying "Probably the most straightforward ADSL Ethernet modem available."!) he's suggested setting the dsl line type to gdmt using the telnet/CLI.

Think I'll probably bin this thing (only cost me £12.50 after all - and get a brandname box. To be fair, digidave's offered me a refund if I'm not satisfied but for £12.50 I can't face the hassle.

I'd recommend steering clear of the AVR-8000.

Chris.
N/A

Don't think it's a problem with the modem as I'm using a different modem and have the same problem.