cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Status Reporting

N/A

Service Status Reporting

How bad does a problem have to be before it appear on the Service Status? Or does PN not monitor their systems to detect problems?

Today at 15:30 I lost dsl connection for nearly 1.5 hours. The error reported from the router was 'PPP1 Session is down'. Referring to the above graph PN experienced a significant drop in users on line between 4 and 5. The drop in online users was 30k so I would suggest there was a significant problem somewhere and that this should be reflected in the Service Status.

I'm I the only one that experience disconnections that follow the graph?
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Service Status Reporting

Hi,

I think that most of the drops in the graph are errors in the graphs rather than actual drops. If you look at the drops last night and this afternoon the graph of the number of customers online goes below the number downloading. If they were actual disconnections then both graphs would have decreased.

Looking at our other reporting systems the seem to tally with my thinking and don't show large numbers of disconnections. It's probably just coincidence that you were disconnected at the same time.

If there were this many customers disconnected then it would have been reported in service status, or if it was a Major Service Outage on BT's network it would be reported at

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php
N/A

Service Status Reporting

Over the last 2 months when I have had disconnections lasting for more than an hour about 90% of these coincided with dips in the graph. I think that this is more than a coincidence. I am referring to at least 10 occasions most of which happen when I was not using the PC so not a major problem. But I believe PN should investigate the cause of these dips, if it's bad reporting then it should fixed.
N/A

Service Status Reporting

Just been disconnected again and this is what my router is reporting

07/04/2006 20:12:15> ADSL detected
07/04/2006 20:12:22> ATM Connected
07/04/2006 20:12:22> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved
07/04/2006 20:12:22> ADSL connected
07/04/2006 20:12:22> PPP1 PPPoA Connected
07/04/2006 20:12:26> ATM Disconnected
07/04/2006 20:12:26> ADSL disconnected
07/04/2006 20:12:26> PPP1 Session is down.

It's in a loop and will start at ADSL detected. Is this a problem with SNR, when I do have a connection it's bouncing between 8 to 10db or with PN gateway?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Service Status Reporting

When the connection drops does it lose sync for the whole time it's down? A sync problem would indicate that the problem is being caused by something between your equipment and the BT Exchange.

Can't hurt to have a quick read through

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything there helps.

If not then it's likely a BT fault, it could be a major service outage (or an undected problem at one or more exchanges). Do you know anyone else in your area with broadband? Is so do they see the same problem? If one or two particular exchanges keep disconnecting customers this may explain the graphing (and why it seems OK our side in terms of overall customer numbers).
N/A

Service Status Reporting

Most times I lose sync, I am some distance from the exchange and I do suffer from regular disconnects but the majority only last 30 seconds and on average I have 10 a day. As I mentioned earlier the significant disconnects lasting an hour or more does seem to follow the graph.

Next time it happen I will try logging on using the test settings. I did try to do this is afternoon but I could not remember the log in details. I have saved the tutorials so I'm ready next time.