cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server change over and Crontab errors

Marteknet
Grafter

After the changeover with servers on 27/07/04 Crontab's email sent me errors each time it ran my scripts, none hade been sent prior to the change over. I opened a new ticket and asked what the shmget() error was.

I was told the shmget() error is just a feature of the move from linux to freebsd and If there are actual problems with your script please follow standard diagnostic guidelines.

now tell me is this an error with my scripts or a change in the way the server runs them. It seem that its an error in the way things are setup on the server. the scripts still run as they did before the change over. what exactly is shmget() error ?

How am I know what is a real error if your server sends me errors that are not in fact relevant. I also asked before the change over if it would have any effect on scripts running I was told categorically no.

So lets get things right, my scripts were running fine. no errors and a clean blank email from crontab each time they were run.

The whole point of the email from crontab is to highlight errors. After the change over its now sending pointless error reports. I know the scripts still run just fine but wouldn't it be nice to have accurate error reporting for crontab.

What other obscure error messages will it send me in the future, for each one I get will mean a new ticket raised, your time and mine wasted.
6 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

With the move to a new platform there are always going to be some inconsistencies but this is one of the few errors that we are not able to fix. The reason is to do with the way that BSD jails work (which is what the CGI servers run inside). If there are odd errors then we want them to be reported as in most cases we can eliminate the problem or at least supress the error.

Regards,
Marteknet
Grafter

thats better

Thanks for your reply.

Things are clearer now, Its better then being told the shmget() error is just a feature of the move from Linux to FreeBSD and If there are actual problems with your script please follow standard diagnostic guidelines. This could make someone think it was their scripts that were the cause of the error messages. they could waste a lot of time debugging scripts that are in fact good.

Are there plans to list anywhere the new anomalies that have appeared since the changeover. It would save everyone a lot of time if there was somewhere to reference this new info.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

So far, there are only two to my knowledge that we are not able to resolve by adjusting the configuration of the server, this one and the fact that the 'host' command gives the error "abort trap" (again caused by jails). This is not that important since nslookup works fine and does the same thing.

Regards,
N/A

I thought "nslookup" was out of favour these days, and "dig" is the "with it" command?
Marteknet
Grafter

mmmmmm

Sounds like something off of www.freeserve.com.
dig & with it.
very 60's man. :-)
N/A

This is not that important since nslookup works fine and does the same thing.

Perhaps "not that important to you" but would an FAQ be so harmfull if it helped prevent customer confusion. E.G. martek above.
Smiley