cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously confused about max DSL speed

N/A

Hi - my account was regraded to MaxDSL on the 20th April, so today is day 11. My sync rate has always been between 3500 and 5000 since the regrade. The stable rate has always shown as 2000 and my max download rate is around 1.9Mbps. I tried the BT speedtest today and it showed a download rate of 2800 kbps. I guess my stable rate should be around 4000 but at least 3500. Who needs to do what so that I can get the maximum speed out of PlusNet? I have raised a ticket about this - 19269795.
Thanks
Martin Connolly
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Martin,

I've seen a couple like this where the MSR hasn't been set by the start of day 11. The first two I saw were still seeing 2Mbps speeds during day 11 but at some point between midnight and 2am the next morning it updated and they saw the faster speeds. The third one was the same as yourself, being regraded on 20th April.

I think it should update overnight tonight or tomorrow (depending on the bank holiday) if the same thing holds, but if not let us know Tuesday and we'll make sure that it's raised.
N/A

Dave,
the stable rate is still showing at 2000 so far today. My current sync speed is 4192.
Cheers
Martin
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Martin,

I've sent this on to our developers to take a look into as part of internal problem 31998.
N/A

I'm on PAYG and was upgraded to ADSLMax yesterday - great.

The line checkers reported I should expect 6.5 to 8MB - I'm about 1 mile from the exchange at most - but after the upgrade my router (Solwise SAR130) is syncing at about 3MB. I'm getting a download speed of 2.2 to 2.7 MB depend on time of day so I'm not getting stuck on my original 2Mb speed.

I'm not worried by the speed variation at different times of the day, and I know there is the 10 days wait period till everything stabilises, but anyone advise why my router isn't syning at close to 8MB?

I tried switching off the router for 1 hour last night, but it re-syned at 2.9MB instead of 3MB.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, David
N/A

Several Suggestions are:-

Check/Replace your adsl filters

Check and Update your firmware for your router

Check/Replace any extensions you have to the router.

Plug your router straight into the master socket to see if there is any difference,

Otherwise its like you say mate, wait til the 10days are up, and you even might have to have the interleaving turned on if your not a gamer.
Community Veteran

@heldav

What are your line statistics from your router ?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Thanks folks. I've reflashed the router firmware and cleaned all the connectors and its now sync'd at 7.1MB - this is fine. Download speeds are still 2.3MB, so its now a waiting game to see if that improves over the next few days.

Cheers, David
vic_newey
Grafter

can someone pleeeeeeeeeez look at mine which was also enabled on the 20th & still still no speed increase after all this time, still getting c 970 which was my original 1meg speed
for most of the time it was synced at 2.3 without problems but now 1.8 with interleaving & snr of 12
N/A

Hmmm, after a couple of hours my router sync dropped from 7.1MB to 5MB and then back to about 3.3MB - it then seems pretty stable at about that point.

I then moved my router to the other phone point on the ground floor (thinking that one of them must be the Master Socket) and watched it then sync at 7.1MB again. Within 2 hours though, it has gradually dropped back to 3.3MB - so no real difference.

Ah well, looks like the promise of 6.5MB+ on my line was way off the mark. I'm still getting just 2.3MB actual download speed instead of my pre-max speed of 1.9MB - hopefully this will catch-up with router sync speed at some point.
JonathanW
Grafter

vicnewey: Looking at your account, we would appear to have received a delta report for your line, though it would unfortunately appear that your line quality is a little shakey at the moment, which could account for the fact that you've not seen much change in speed.

heldav: Once BT update us then you should start to see your throughput increase to be more in line with your synch speed. As for the changing synch rates, I take it you've tried it with different filters, to see if that improves things at all?
vic_newey
Grafter

vicnewey: Looking at your account, we would appear to have received a delta report for your line, though it would unfortunately appear that your line quality is a little shakey at the moment, which could account for the fact that you've not seen much change in speed.

?

It has speeded up at last, it settled for 1.5 but keeps syncing at 1.8 or 9 with good speeds to match
N/A

heldav: Once BT update us then you should start to see your throughput increase to be more in line with your synch speed. As for the changing synch rates, I take it you've tried it with different filters, to see if that improves things at all?

Hi,

My filters seem OK, but I've ordered new filters just in case. However, I'm now past the 10 day period, my router is sync at 2.3Mb and my actual download speed has been just 1.3MB for the last 3 days or so and while I await delivery of me new filters, I'm out of ideas as to what to do next. Prior to ADSLMAX, I had a rock solid 2MB connection with 2MB download speeds, so I'm really disappointed. I've contacted BT to check out my line and they said that it was "100% OK" (hmmm) and that perhaps I should sign-up for BT Broadband if I continue to have problems (hmmm). Given the original estimate for ADSLMAX for my line was 6.5 to 8MB I thought anything above 4Mb would be great, but it's actually slower now that I was originally :-(

Once my new filters arrive, I will of course fit them and check for an improvement, but given I'm now past the 10 day period how can I get the retraining to be re-started for my line when my new filters arrive?

Current router stats:
DSL Parameters and Status
Vendor ID: 00B5GSPN
Revision Number: Y1.16.3
Serial Number: Solwise-271003d
Local Tx Power: 12.31 dB
Remote Tx Power: 19.75 dB
Local Line Atten.: 19.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 14.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 7.5 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 6.0 dB
Self Test: Passed
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Trellis Coding: Enable
Framing Structure: Framing-3
JonathanW
Grafter

If the BT kit picks up the fact that you're consistently synching at a higher speed, then it will adjust your profile after a few days and your speeds should start to lift in conjunction with this.

Looking at the stats its possible that you might be able to get a little bit more out of it, but if you're already connected into the master socket then it could be difficult.
N/A

Thanks Jon. I guess I'll just need to wait and see whether the new filters improve the situation and whether the download speeds catch-up to my router sync speed (which seems to have settled to 2.3 - 2.4MB.) Pre-ADSLMAX it was syncing at around 2200KBS.

Its a shame - a few days ago, just as ADSLMAX started on my line, I was getting download speeds to 2.7MB with a sync speed of 3-4MB, and was hoping that my download would catch-up with the 4MB sync speed. :-(