cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Mac forum

N/A

Separate Mac forum

Is there any chance a separate Mac forum could be set up on the PlusNet forums? PlusNet is Windows orientated and don't offer great Mac support, and it can take ages to do a search through the forums with a specific Mac problem. At the moment, I'm using the Apple Mac forum on www.adslguide.org.uk website for any internet problems. It would be nice to be able to do it here as PlusNet is my ISP. I know there are fewer Mac users using PlusNet compared to Windows, but I feel like the forgotten minority sometimes when I have a query.
Many thanks.

[Moderators note by csogilvie: Duplicate thread removed]
13 REPLIES
N/A

Separate Mac forum

Will having a dedicated Mac forum mean your query will not be forgotten? I don't think it will make much difference.

Previous Request
N/A

Separate Mac forum

It probably will make a difference because Mac users will go straight to their own forum, rather than having to trawl though endless Windows users' problems.
sinewave
Grafter

Separate Mac forum

Yes, yes, yes to a mac forum.

I never cease to be amazed at just how hopeless PN CS is for macs. even when you tell them you have a mac they still insist on giving you instructions in PC.

Plusnet: Do you realise your help pages for mac users is about 5 years out of date? its all for OS 9!!! We are up to OS10.4 FGS. Its like only offering help for windows 98 or below. I'd be embarrassed about this if I was plusnet. You'd be better removing the set-up pages for mac altogether, than having this out of date rubbish.

I know plusnet say they will not support macs but it really would not take much effort to offer this support. Its a lot easier to get up and running on a mac after all!

I'll gladly supply plusnet with up-to-date "how to set up your mac" instructions (for a fee of course) if they want.

Come on plusnet, there is no excuse in showing such ignorance regarding the mac world.

Your giving away ipods so you can't be completely anti-apple!

-
Tom
(what is a virus anyway?)
N/A

Separate Mac forum

Surely you jest... how much is this fee you speak of?
sinewave
Grafter

Separate Mac forum

I jest about what? that mac support is hopeless? mac pages are out of date? yes to all this.

jest about charging for supplying a help guide to plusnet? Are you suggesting I work for free? I would charge the typical, reasonable rate for such work.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as it serves no purpose.
N/A

Separate Mac forum

So what is this rate? I have no idea!
sinewave
Grafter

Separate Mac forum

I am sorry, I do not know where you are coming from with this line of enquiry. It is off topic and irrelevant isn't it?

The rate I would charge would depend on how much work was involved and its application.

If you are interested in hiring me for IT/mac support or technical writing then please contact me off this board.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed.
N/A

Separate Mac forum

Okay. If you don't want to answer that's fine.
N/A

Separate Mac forum

As a Mac user (Os9 and 10.3Cool, I can't honestly see much of a need. There are very few differences between Macs and other PCs - and getting connected under OsX is even easier than it used to be. Maybe it would be a help to have an up-to-date list of Mac diagnostic and cgi applications (trace route, ping etc) but I guess I can't see further than that. Can you give me an idea of the kind of Mac-only topic that you think won't find favour in the general forum?

Simon
N/A

Separate Mac forum

I agree that a Mac forum on here would be a good idea. Hopefully a sticky could be composed including things such as :-

1. Don't use a USB modem - get an ethernet router.
2. Settings in System Preferences, Network.
N/A

Separate Mac forum

All things internet and network would be a start - I agree, PlusNet's Mac help pages are terrible - years out of date. I understand there are Mac users with extensive technical backgrounds who probably don't need any help, but I'm not a techie and it's nice to have somewhere I can go with internet/networking problems. Mac users are superb at helping out luddites like myself.
Mac-friendly hardware/software, etc, is also an area I'd like to see. An area supporting all things Mac would be a great help, I'm sure.
N/A

Separate Mac forum

You can get answers to most platform-specific questions on usenet, eg these newsgroups:

alt.sys.mac.newuser-help
comp.sys.mac.comm
uk.comp.sys.mac

The best one for the kind of stuff you're talking about is comp.sys.mac.comm

The majority of ISPs don't give official support for Macs - but the 'getting connected' part couldn't be much easier.

Simon
Community Veteran

Separate Mac forum

I really dont see the need for such a forum since most stuff discussed on the forums is not Operating System dependant.

Some good user guides wouldn't go a miss though. If you ever feel like writing one (or more) we can sort it out for your tutorial to be included with those in the Tutorials and FAQ forum, afterall that is what its for.

Chris