cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending e-mail - error messages

N/A

I have been getting this error message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[intended recipient e-mail address]'. Subject '', Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relay not permitted', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Does anyone know how I can solve this? I have tried various changes to "properties" but I can't seem to solve it. Also I can't find how to e-mail PlusNet with the problem - it keeps directing me to help pages rather than any e-mail contact with plusnet support.

Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

are you actually using a Plusnet broadband connection to send this email or are you on another ISP's connection such as NTL or AOL?

Response: '550 relay not permitted',
leads me to think your trying to send an email from a non Plusnet connection which wont work.

Have you tried using webmail to send the same email at all?

Regards,
N/A

E-mail error

Thanks for response

I have a plusnet e-mail address which I have kept although I no longer have a broadband account as I moved address and telewest was the only provider. But I am currently accessing using an overseas ISP called pars online (I am in the Middle East) and I am able to download my incoming mail with no problem; it is the outgoing mail which won't work, and it only started going wrong a few days ago (it has been working for a couple of years). Do you think the issue is with the overseas ISP rather than with my outlook express settings? I have no problem sending mail through by other e-mail accounts such as yahoo and my office OWA account.
N/A

If everything was working fine up until just a short while ago and you have altered nothing settings wise it may be worth raising a ticket to find out if the function has been revoked or not.
To my mind though I cannot remember it being possible ( unless paying specifically for a particular mail account ) to send emails from any other connection apart from plusnets own.
Have you tried using a different relay server? If not then perhaps you could try this or alternatively try webmail.

Regards,
N/A

E-mail problem

Can you tell me how to raise a ticket? I can't find where on the website I can do this, and I can't access the video help.
Community Veteran

you are unable to send email via the relay.plus.net server as you can only use that on a plusnet ip address, if you want to send email you will need to use the webmail tool at http://webmail.plus.net or use another email service such as gmail or hotmail.
N/A

I have always been able to send e-mail in this way, whether in London or here. The problem has only occurred in the last few days. My plusnet broadband account ended in February 2005 but plusnet agreed I could continue to use the address. Has an adjustment been made to the account in the last few days?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strange it was working before then stopped - which would suggest PlusNet have changed something their end.

Were you using the SMTP server with authentication? (I'd imagine so as I can't see relay.plus.net being totally open for so long). I am not sure if they will allow sending of mail from an IP which isn't theirs, if the authentication details are supplied. Not heard of this, so I am assuming they don't.

If you weren't using authentication, I guess you could try putting your details in and seeing if that works. Otherwise it would seem they have their SMTP server pretty much locked down (as most others are to prevent spamming) and there isn't a lot you can do.
N/A

As I mentioned above there is or was to my knowledge an account which gave you an email account and which you could use from an ip not belonging to Plusnet.
Whether this was in use or not we dont know. However im inclined to think that if Plusnet agreed to allow its use in a relay manner and now it has been closed ( as the error message seems to imply as well as a possible authentication error ) I am inclined to think that it was shut off. Perhaps this may be linked to the threads regarding the plusnet mail servers as being blacklisted?

Anyway, the only true way to know whats going on is to gather as much info as possible, aswell as having a helping hand by a very kind member of staff at Plusnet Smiley

Regards,