cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Spam to a default e-mail address

SOS
Dabbler

Would it be possible to have a system where a user can configure all Spam identified by your system to be placed into a separate mailbox which can then be deleted via webmail?

I see this having a number of advantages over the approach of sending the e-mail either with a heading including "spam" or as an attachment:-
1. Reduced bandwidth usage
2. Reduced processing at your end (hopefully) since you would not need to convert e-mails to attachments.
3. Reduced exposure to explicit material, particularly useful for those with children.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Spam filter ?

f9 spam filter set to max, its next to usless i get 15 V-iAGRA emails a day, and f9 spam filter only picks up 1 or 2.
:x Evil Sad Shockedops: Cry

& Why cant the system be set to delete spam rather than downloading it first ie: bounce all spam back to sender.
N/A

The F9 spam filter is not over reliabel. It can flag genuine emails and miss others. Cahnging the aggressiveness of the filter does not work now either. I recall CS saying that since they moved to the new method of filtering, it is a "one size fits all" but they never removed the tool from the portal.

What you need is something like Mailwasher. I still have V1 which the licence allows me to freely distribute and also handles multi emails. If you want a copy, pm me with an email address and I will send it across.

Mark
SOS
Dabbler

Thank you for your suggestion. I was hoping for Force9 to provide a solution since it would then avoid the need to install software on multiple computers, if Force9 are unable to provide an alternative I will investigate your suggestion further.

Could a Force9 employee comment on my suggestion please?

Has anyone had positive (or indeed any feedback) from a Force9 employee with respect to this forum in the last few months?

Regards

Phil Loveridge
orrery
Grafter

The F9 spam filter is not over reliabel. It can flag genuine emails and miss others.

It isn't a case of being reliable or not. I use Spamcop to filter my mail (their system is very advanced indeed and allows you to select the SpamAssassin trip level and which blocklsts are in use). The problem is - how on earth do you work out whether something is spam or not?

You will have an area of overlap in which a proportion of spam is missed and a proportion of genuine mail is flagged as spam, even with an advanced system like theirs. They do provide all sorts of facilities for controlling the performance, but this does cost US$30 per year - well worth it.

regards, Ian
N/A

What I would like to see is a system whereby any email sent to addresses I have not specified is automatically rejected. I over 80% of my emails are spam that is sent to addresses I have never used but have been 'invented' by someone else. This is the problem with having unlimited email addresses. Surely it would be possible to have a system whereby only specified email addresses are valid?
N/A

I presume you have set your own e-mail addresses and all the spam is coming in through your default address. If that is the case then all you need to do is request F9 to open up the blackhole on your default address. As long as they can contact you through another e-mail address they will do this. This means then that anything sent to you through your default will be sent to the blackhole and you will never see it again. I have had this done to mine and very little if any gets through.
N/A

Thanks for that. I didn't know the 'blackhole' option existed. I asked about it a couple of years ago and at that time all they could do was block the account completely. Will do it straight away.
orrery
Grafter

I was told to forward anything that I'm not using to:

blackhole@abuse.plus.com

regards, Ian
Adam1V
Grafter

jesus, i really should read down before i post.

i just asked for the exact same thing a few threads above Smiley

bloody good idea