Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Large Files

Studio_Two
Grafter

Sending Large Files

Hello,

I wondered if there was an easy way to get a 20MB file to someone without sending via email (or using the postal service) :? . I don't want to use anything that requires any setup on their part.

I thought about loading the file into my plusnet web space and then sending them a link. Is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Stephen
7 REPLIES
kevchalluk
Grafter

Sending Large Files

how about using something like sendspace/megaupload/rapidshare?
Mand
Grafter

Sending Large Files

Hi there

To be honest FTP is probably the best way, especially if you are planning to send large files regularly. Upload the file to your webspace, then send the link over, you can password protect it as well if you wish.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Sending Large Files

The only problem I could see with using my webspace is that I might be only be able to upload when I'm using my PlusNet connection. Also, were you hinting that if I set up a new folder, I could password protect it in some way?

In regards "SendSpace", that looks quite useful. Any drawbacks to using this service? I wondered if the email address I can optionally give will be "spammed".

Thanks,
Stephen
kevchalluk
Grafter

Sending Large Files

In regards "SendSpace", that looks quite useful. Any drawbacks to using this service? I wondered if the email address I can optionally give will be "spammed".

Thanks,
Stephen

Personally I've never had any bother using any of those 3 sites I mentioned, but I suppose there might be some risk of email spam.
N/A

Sending Large Files

If you're concerned by spam risk, create a redirect on your mail account with PN.
Set it to be something random 83625alf1074s@username.plus.com for example.
If you get spam, you now they're dodgy, and you can delete the redirect without affecting the addy all your legit contacts use.
If they don't spam you, and only send you useful stuff, you can collect it seamlessly.

(Perhaps instead of random - sendmail@username.plus.com might make more sense - at least you know which is which if you add more for other things also add a 3 digit number to each and every one you create to stop spammers who just use every word they can think of - sendmail_159@.... cuteftp_159@.... etc)
Community Veteran

Sending Large Files

You can upload/download to/from your www webspace from any internet connection. It is your ccgi webspace that is restricted to uploading from PlusNet IPs only.

You use a .htaccess file to password protect a directory in which you put your files. See General: .htaccess for info on how to do this.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Sending Large Files

Thank you all for the prompt assistance.

For the quickest, I used my webspace for the job. However, I will have a good look at all your suggestions for future reference.

Stephen