cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Email when Travelling

N/A

Plusnet doesn't seem to allow my laptop to send using relay.plus.net when I am connected to the internet when travelling (ie from hotels etc).

I don't want to have to move to web-based email on these occasions because a. my addresses are in my email application and b. my email archive wont be complete.

If I can discover a local SMTP server then clearly I can use that but what if the hotel wont tell me...

1. How can I find out the SMTP server to use?

2. Do plus net offer a solution to this other than dialup? For example SMTP with authentication - that way we could email to be sent from any network to Relay.plus.net

3. Any other solns?

Regards,

C Savage
25 REPLIES
N/A

My choice is to use webmail, and BCC everything to myself

That way when I log back in with my POP3 client, I get the mails I sent as well

Hope this helps

Samir
N/A

My solution to this is not using anyones mail server but my own. That way it doesn't matter where I am, I can still send email without changing any settings Smiley

It also means I have full tracking of emails - I know when the email has arrived at it's destination, rather than just the ISP.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Sending Email when Travelling

Plusnet doesn't seem to allow my laptop to send using relay.plus.net when I am connected to the internet when travelling (ie from hotels etc).

I don't want to have to move to web-based email on these occasions because a. my addresses are in my email application and b. my email archive wont be complete.

If I can discover a local SMTP server then clearly I can use that but what if the hotel wont tell me...

1. How can I find out the SMTP server to use?

You may not be able to if they don't tell you. You could try tracerouting to a web address to see if the gateway you are connected to gives away the ISP.

2. Do plus net offer a solution to this other than dialup? For example SMTP with authentication - that way we could email to be sent from any network to Relay.plus.net

We do not offer SMTP authentication across our normal email platform. This is something that has been suggested a number of times though so could perhaps be available in the future. We do have accounts that offer this functionality but unfortunately there is no way of adding this to our existing ADSL offerings:-
http://www.plus.net/btbroadband/

3. Any other solns?]

Aside from what's been suggested already, none that I can think of Sad

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

One other solution:

Set up a Gmail account (or rather googlemail as it is now in the UK).

In Gmail, add the PlusNet email as an address you can send from (it emails you at that address to confirm its you, which you need to respond to).

Set-up forwarding on your PlusNet email to the Gmail address.

If using email program on laptop, you can check Gmail via POP (needs to be set-up first in Gmail). OR use Gmail to send email, but with your PlusNet email address as sender.

When checking via POP from Gmail, you can keep a copy on the server, so if your laptop goes west you still have a copy of received emails on Gmail.
N/A

We do not offer SMTP authentication across our normal email platform. This is something that has been suggested a number of times though so could perhaps be available in the future. We do have accounts that offer this functionality but unfortunately there is no way of adding this to our existing ADSL offerings:-
http://www.plus.net/btbroadband/

What about the essential account at £1.99 per month? This does allow SMTP authentication, can't this be added and controlled via the Service Manager? Probably have to uncheck the authentication when connected to the PN supplied adsl line and checked when not.
N/A

Assuming you have [reliable] broadband at home you could get a VPN-capable router and send email via the router. If you're using the Windows VPN client you just set it to be the default route.

It's overkill just for email, but it works.
N/A

I don't see what the problem is with using your own email server - it's not exactly difficult to setup - probably easier than setting up a VPN ! (and of course free)

But... People just seem to want to moan about Plusnet's instead.

Strange...
N/A

I don't see what the problem is with using your own email server - it's not exactly difficult to setup - probably easier than setting up a VPN ! (and of course free)

One thing I've found in the past is that when using your own personal SMTP server, the recipients network sometimes doesnt like this because it can't find your IP in a "registered" SMTP server database or something.. and ends up blocking the mail you send.

I'm not sure what is stopping PlusNet adding the SMTP-authentication feature to existing accounts (perhaps limit to paid-up customers only to prevent abuse).
N/A

"I'm not sure what is stopping PlusNet adding the SMTP-authentication feature to existing accounts (perhaps limit to paid-up customers only to prevent abuse)."

Remember, these are the people that managed to delete 700 GB of email. Which weren't being backed up. Then made the situation worse with a bodged attempt to recover said emails.

I wouldn't trust them to put the tick in the box to allow people to relay email *and* set up the authentication critera. You'll probably find relay.plus.net becomes the biggest open relay in Internet history
N/A

One thing I've found in the past is that when using your own personal SMTP server, the recipients network sometimes doesnt like this because it can't find your IP in a "registered" SMTP server database or something.. and ends up blocking the mail you send.

Would like more feedback on this especially from users that have set up their own emails servers. I have just set up my server mainly because PN does not support SMTP authentication and therefore not able to send emails when using hotels BB connections or wifi hotspots. For the reasons stated above I do not wish to use webmail. I thought that if the IP that the server was sitting on had a rDNS then it should be okay.
N/A

Thank you all for those ideas - I posted the same qn a week ago on Everything Internet and got zero replies - so I am delighted with the response this time.

What I didn't say in my original post is that this I was asking the question on behalf of someone who finds basic troubleshooting difficult so setting up a SMTP server whilst on my list of solutions is not practical.

I do like the VPN idea but assume that this needs a host sitting behind the router. The router in question is a Netgear DG 834. Presumably, I cant just configure the router to forward incomming smtp to relay.plus.net or can I?

James
N/A

Well, I've had my own mail server on my plusnet account for the past year, and also done the same for the company where I work (also sitting on the end of a ADSL connection).

I've never had any bounced mail on my plusnet account, but I did get some on the works connection until reverse dns was working correctly.

Presumably, I cant just configure the router to forward incomming smtp to relay.plus.net or can I?

You can if you run Linux, as you can use xinetd and redirects. No idea about Windows though I'm afraid. The router probably supports redirection, but only within the bounds of the same network, or from WAN -> LAN (ie, most don't allow to redirect an incoming connection back out again).
Studio_Two
Grafter

Hello,

We have exactly the same problem with some of our sales staff who switch between our office smtp and the one they have at home.

If this is important to your work, you could consider ditching PlusNet's SMTP server and use something like Gradwell: http://www.gradwell.com/products/hosting_smtp_relay.php

It's only £15 per annum.

One possible pitfall is that if you are using someone elses network to connect to the internet, they may block the pop3 / smtp traffic on your laptop. You might not be any better off...

Incidentally, I asked PlusNet about authenticating the SMTP Server some months ago and they said it wasn't a priority.

HTH,
Stephen
waldron
Grafter

What I didn't say in my original post is that this I was asking the question on behalf of someone who finds basic troubleshooting difficult so setting up a SMTP server whilst on my list of solutions is not practical.

When I travel, I use a free email account from a supplier who allows SMTP with authentification. I set the return address to my PlusNet account. This means that I can use Outlook Express for sending and receiving. I only use it when connecting to a network away from home.