cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending E-mail

TomH
Grafter

Sending E-mail

For 4 days now I am unable to send any e-mail, all I get is 451 Temporary local problem - please try later, has this got anything to do with the recent e-mail problems, raised a ticket on Thursday but recieved no reply.

Tom
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sending E-mail

The mail problems are related to reciving email, not sending. the SMTP servers are completely separate from the mail servers where your incoming mail is stored/delivered from.

Have you tried rebooting all equipment, including router if you have one as sometimes local firewalls and A/V scanners can become corrupted and interfere with sending/receiving emails.

Also ensure you are using relay.plus.net for SMTP.

I have had this a few times in the past week (so have a few others) but usually a resend goes through fine when it happens.
TomH
Grafter

Sending E-mail

Thanks for your reply, I have tried rebooting everything, I'm using a modem not a router and checked all my settings which are fine, but still unable to send any mail, keep getting the same error message.
Community Veteran

Sending E-mail

can you post the full error message you are seeing. There may be a clue to where to look next.
TomH
Grafter

Sending E-mail

Thanks Peter, this is the full error message,

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 08/07/2006 13:11

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'tom@fellglint.co.uk' on 08/07/2006 13:12
451 Temporary local problem - please try later

This is from doing a test by sending an e-mail to myself
N/A

Sending E-mail

I see from a whois lookup that this site is hosted by Plusnet. PN has problems with some of the DNS records for the domain they host and unfortunately yours is one of them. I just did a DNS search and got the following:

Searching for fellglint.co.uk A record at e.root-servers.net [192.203.230.10]: Got referral to NSA.NIC.uk. [took 78 ms]
Searching for fellglint.co.uk A record at NSA.NIC.uk. [204.74.112.44]: Got referral to ns1.force9.net. [took 19 ms]
Searching for fellglint.co.uk A record at ns1.force9.net. [195.166.128.16]: Server failure! [took 107 ms].

Answer:
Server failure. There's a problem with the DNS server for fellglint.co.uk.

If you check this forum you will see postings on this problem. You will have to raise a ticket to report the problem.
TomH
Grafter

Sending E-mail

Thanks for your reply, I finally figured out it must have had something to do with the domain, but just couldn't figure out what it was, I'll do as you suggest and raise a ticket.
N/A

Sending E-mail

See that you had enough of waiting for PN to fix the DNS and gone elsewhere for your domain and email hosting.
N/A

Sending E-mail

I had this problem and raised a ticket on Wednesday.
It was fixed on Saturday (lunchtime).

They need to create a new zone file. It's a 2 minute job and if you phone them up (as one other person did - look for my thread titled "hosting" (or something like that) and you will see the other user) they will do it/

Considering how quikc it is to fix, I'm more than a little disappointed that it took 3 days to do it.