cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Bulk Email

N/A

Sending Bulk Email

Hi, not for me but for a friend of mine.

They are on BB+

Yesterday they sent a mail shot to around 650 addresses, they are running exchange 2003 and they send mail via relay.plus.net

This morning all the mails were still in the que, any other mails being sent were still backing up behhind it.

Now before you ask why don't they send via DNS, they used to but for some resason some addresses could not be sent to.

Anyway, I switched the mail back over to DNS and about 610 mails all went instantly, there were still 40 odd left. Switching back to sending via relay.plus.net got rid of those as well.

So, my question. Does relay.plus.net reject large amounts of mail being sent from one person? If so what is the limit on the number of mails at a time? And finally if there is a limit, is the limit the same on BB Prem?

Many Thanks

Dan
7 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Sending Bulk Email

Hi,

There's no set limit as to how many emails can be sent. However, we do run tar pitting, so a large number of emails will take a while to send, where as one or two should go through fairly swiftly.

I would also advise that if youre friend is looking at doing this on a regular basis, that they take a fresh look at the packages that we offer, and ensure that they are on an appropriate package for their usage.
N/A

Sending Bulk Email

The package they are on is perfect for their usage, however if you're saying going to BB prem will avoid the problem they had yesterday then they will go onto it. However you're saying there isnt a problem so i'm confused.

They sent the mails at 18:20 last night and NONE had been sent by 11am this morning, it wasn't that they were taking a while to trickle through. It was as if relay.plus.net was just not allowing them to connect.

Changing the settings in exchange to send mail via DNS enabled nearly all the mails to be sent. Like I said for some reason some addresses will not resolve using plus.nets DNS servers so I had to change it back to send via relay.plus.net.

Once that was done the remaining 40 mails all went instantly as well.

Many Thanks

Dan
JonathanW
Grafter

Sending Bulk Email

I'm not saying that its a case of switching to Premier to avoid this. What I am, however suggesting, is that your friend should ensure that his usage of the account is classed as residential under the AUP.

The fact that no emails were sent at all does indicate a potential issue though, either the with connection or with part of the configuration of the exchange server.
N/A

Sending Bulk Email

Lots of community groups send out mailshots by email to a lot of people. I think you're being a bit judgemental here, Jon.
N/A

Sending Bulk Email

I'm quite confident there is nothing wrong with the exchange server.
N/A

Sending Bulk Email

This is still happening. Any suggestions? I'm not aware of any settings in the outgoing SMTP connector in SBS exchange 2003 to stop it from sending.
prichardson
Grafter

Sending Bulk Email

Hi,

The Exchange server itself should be able to provide log files on what it is trying to do, and what part if any is failing.

Bassed on what these say, we can certainly advise further.

Kind Regards,