cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sender Policy Framework - How Long?

Lorian
Grafter

I'm getting loads of bounce messages caused by some scum spammer using random usernames based on my domain hosted at PN.

I can't turn off my catchall, as for years I've used all kinds of usernames so I can track who's spamming me etc.

So I NEED to implement SPF.

Anyone know WHEN the facility might be available, as if it's too long I'll migrate my domains out.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It's being looked at as part of the recent spam project that Bob posted about here, but as yet there's no ETA on implentation as it isn't yet in the development work stack.

Best thing to do is let it be known that you want it and encourage people to do the same by voting for it on PUGIT at:

http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=173
Community Veteran

I think only PUG members can vote on items in PUGIT, the mostly unwashed plain ol' users can not. And that has been raised as a PUGIT items too. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I think only PUG members can vote on items in PUGIT, the mostly unwashed plain ol' users can not. And that has been raised as a PUGIT items too. Sad

SW.

hmm, I just clicked on the linky to the PUGIT item and it's got a vote link :S and unless I've been made one and not told I'm not a member of PUG Tongue
Lorian
Grafter

IT won't even let me register as I'm not using my plusnet connection at the moment.

I'm not sure what the big deal is anywhere, surely this change is not so big to implement. I'm not saying bypass change control, but why vote? People who don't know what it is won't be affected, and people who don't want it (why?) don't have to set it up.
Community Veteran

I think the voting is to give PN an idea of what users want most and thus what to prioritise on the workstack Smiley

But anyway we're going off topic...

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Lorian
Grafter

Oh, OK, but then I'd need to know what other great new features were going to be delayed by the introduction of SPF. Better management takes the decision.

I would have thought the fact that SPF will remove many inbound bounce messages from the PN mail-queues would mean they'd want to JFDI.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Anyone can vote for something on PUGIT, although you do need to register and to register you need to be on a PlusNet connection.

The idea of the voting as Danial says is to tell us what our customers want and so we can set the appropriate priorities in the workstack. At the moment SPF is something we would like to do but the work hasn't been scheduled in (as I understand it, it's quite a big piece of work because it needs a lot of changes being made to the domain control system - DCS).
Lorian
Grafter

I'm suprised it's that big a piece of work, maybe someone should could at least do a detailed investigation.

Can someone tell me when the vote ends, and how many votes are need for it to be A) successful and B) priority ?
Community Veteran

The end date is when the feature/request is done.

There is no defined end date for voting, it just an indicator used to judge what items PN need to concentrate on.

As for a detailed investigation, that is exactly what bob & PN are doing as part of the mail/domain revamp detailed in recent announcements made by PN.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

A detailed investigation was done about 2 years ago to see how much work was required, I think we even got as far as trialling it on one of the MXLast servers but that was removed because of problems.

The DCS work I mention would be to add TXT records.
Lorian
Grafter

Ah, OK, Guess this answered my question, thanks.