cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send e-mail through proxy or something?

N/A

Hi,
I know that it isn't possible to send e-mail from my laptop when I'm at a remote location (i.e. I'm currently in America) without using Webmail.

However, is it possible to use my home computer as some kind of a proxy? I'm currently using Apple Remote Desktop to control my home computer, so I can configure my router etc. from here if needs be.

Ideally, I want to be able to reply to an e-mail I receive on my laptop using the built in software - Outlook and the like.

Is this possible or am I living in a dream world?

Many Thanks,

Ben
8 REPLIES
canford
Grafter

During the winter, when in SE Asia, I have a similar need. The problem is that PlusNet, when I last asked anyway, do not offer SMTP authentication.

Presumably you are connected somehow, so why not use your service provider's SMTP servers. If you set up your e-mail client appropriately, it will work a treat. In the apartment in Bangkok I have ethernet and elsewhere use wireless. (all this to a PDA)

Whatever you do, steer well clear of PlusNet's webmail service... it's awful.
N/A

Whatever you do, steer well clear of PlusNet's webmail service... it's awful.

You might aswell stay away from their email service in general... unless you don't mind losing a day's worth of email's every now and then.
N/A

I'm assuming that you set up your outgoing mail servers relative to your location. The problem I have is that I'm all over the place. I'm currently using a wi-fi access point that I stumbled across. I think it belongs to the office nextdoor, but can't be sure.

Are there any servers that I can use wherever I am?

-Ben
N/A

You might aswell stay away from their email service in general... unless you don't mind losing a day's worth of email's every now and then.

Can't say I've ever had that problem.
N/A

what you're suggesting is the use of an open relay - which unless you happen to stumble across one, it will probably be of no use anyway because it will have been blacklisted somewhere.

All I can suggest is the use of an SMTP provider who charge on average about £2 a month. This uses authenticated SMTP and allows you to send mail from whichever ISP you're connected to using the client of your choice (Outlook, etc..)

Alternatively you could set up your very own SMTP server on your mac at home, and set it up for authenticated forwarding only. I dont know what the availability is for mac-based smtp servers though.

What's so bad about webmail?
N/A

When I was on a basic BT broadband account I was using a PN essential license which is a basic email account with web space at £1.99 per month. This account does allow/use SMTP authentication. I was happily picking up and sending emails from work, in Europe and the Far East for 18 months. Then I migrated my broadband over to PN and dropped the essential license and now find that I can't send emails when away from my home connection. Currenty it's not a problem as I'm now working from home but I will have to find a solution to this within the next 2 months.

Perhaps PN can answers these 2 questions.
1. If the essential license allow SMPT authentication why is this not the norm for all accounts?
2. If I add essential license to my account at £1.99 will I be able to use this when away from my home connection? When I migrated and still had the essential license I had to remove the SMTP authentication because I was using my home connection. But, I never tried to see if I could send email when using another connection. So not sure whether this service was removed when on upgraded to a PAYG account.
N/A

For Mac users:
I found this. Am going to try it now.

http://www.cutedgesystems.com/software/PostfixEnabler/

PC users:
http://www.hallikainen.org/windoze/winrg.swf

;-)

b
N/A

yahoo mail smtp send server.

You can if you have a yahoo email address turn on the pop3 access this will allow you to use the following settings.

smtp send server: smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
username:youryahoologon
password:youryahoomail password.

sorted.

free