Did you mean: 

Self-throttling

N/A

Self-throttling

I've found this self-throttling software:

http://intrarts.com/throttled.html

Would I be right in thinking that it would enable me to ensure that on my LAN:

a) P2P can be given lower priority than e-mail and www

b) My computer will always have priority over my son's computer in all applications

c) I can restrict P2P activity to an acceptable (to me) time window, eg overnight

In an ideal world, I would like to be able to control my LAN so that whenever my son is the only active user he can have full bandwidth but as soon as my computer becomes active it takes priority over his in all comms activity.

Simon
26 REPLIES
N/A

Self-throttling

I saw the headline and rushed on to give you the phone number for The Samaritans but I see it's not needed after all :roll:
csogilvie
Grafter

Self-throttling

I'd think to affect your son's net access, it would need to be on the router that you use to access the network. If this is your Mac then it may work though.
N/A

Self-throttling

The router is connected via ethernet to my Mac but my son connects to it wirelessly. I'm really just looking for a way to make him a second-class citizen when I'm using the internet since most of the time it's the other way around -- he is downloading some big file and my mail and surfing is slowed right down.

I guess I could always try talking to the little urchin -- or even better, charging him per GB.

Simon
lank111
Grafter

Self-throttling

do you use p2p?
if not plusnet has that p2p blocker on the control panel?
never used it but it mite work??

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Removed Accidental Double Post]
N/A

Self-throttling

No, I dont use P2P but I don't want to block him completely, just throttle. After all, you can never have too many Linux updates.

Anyway, if I block him, he leaves home and moves in with a bunch of long-haired wi-fi pirates squatting in the old mansion house and sharing dope, needles and KFC without a hope of finding, let alone keeping, a job and only intent upon anarchy, mugging, meths and ultimately self-destruction... whereupon I will have to visit him in hospital or a prison cell - and I just don't have the time.

So blocking's out.

Simon
LiamM
Grafter

Self-throttling

Interesting hehe....

So does your son connect through the router wirelessly, or via the Mac? If it's via the mac, then that program may be able to throttle traffic on the Wireless port of the Mac.

If he just conects into the router, then this wouldn't work anyway.
N/A

Self-throttling

pr100 that is a very dark but highly amusing look at your sons life! :lol:
Alecto
Grafter

Self-throttling

Sounds like pr's son needs a Fair Usage Policy. Now where did I see one of those? I'm sure it was around here somewhere..................... Tongue
N/A

Self-throttling

pr100 Jnr - aka Charlie - connects wirelessly straight to the router (Netgear DG824M). He also uses a Mac (a G5 dual 2.5Ghz which is 5 times more powerful than mine). If that means that this throttling software is unlikely to be able to shape his online activities then I won't waste $20 on it.

Btw, the picture is not yet as bleak as the scenario I painted. He does have a job (graphic designer) and I make him power down his computer when he goes to work so that I do have a window of opportunity 5 days a week. Then of course there's Friday night when he goes out binge drinking and most of Saturday when he is comatose.

Simon
N/A

Self-throttling

If you have a 2mbps or higher connection you could limit the wireless Transmission Rate to 1mbps Cool

You'd have to log into the router to change it when you want to slow him down and then put him back on 2mb after.

Or

If he is drowning your connection because his P2P software opens multiple connections, try opening multiple connections yourself by running a DSL accelerator on your own machine.

Rich
N/A

Self-throttling

Anyway, if I block him, he leaves home and moves in with a bunch of long-haired wi-fi pirates squatting in the old mansion house and sharing dope, needles and KFC without a hope of finding, let alone keeping, a job and only intent upon anarchy, mugging, meths and ultimately self-destruction

The dangers of KFC can never be emphasised enough ... now ... where did I put that zinger ...
N/A

Self-throttling

If you have a 2mbps or higher connection you could limit the wireless Transmission Rate to 1mbps

Are you saying that I can configure my router to give me full speed (2MB) via ethernet and at the same time restrict the wireless LAN to 1MB? That would do it but I can't see if/how the Netgear DG824M would facilitate it.

...or...If he is drowning your connection because his P2P software opens multiple connections, try opening multiple connections yourself by running a DSL accelerator on your own machine.

I don't think I know what one of those is, or if such a thing exists in Mac-land. But it sounds like it would only make the situation worse!

Simon
N/A

Self-throttling

Words, understanding and removing network cables am sure will resolve the issue should software/hardware fail.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Self-throttling

What? Then use the network cable to (self) throttle his son!?!

Phil