Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seed Test Results - OK?

thehatman
Grafter

Seed Test Results - OK?

Just tried the BT Speed Tester.

Is this about right do people reckon?

Why is my IP profile 7150, I thought that was 8000? Also, why only 5098 actual?

Test 1 comprises of Best Effort Test: - provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5098 kbps
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Seed Test Results - OK?

The way that ADSL works is that the speed your line syncs at will always be higher than the throughput rate (the IP profile).

The reason is that there's a certain amount of ATM overhead data (works out around 9% or so).

There's more details, including a table of sync rate to throughput rates here:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml

The actual throughput speed also includes a certain amount of TCP/IP overhead data and is also subject to the effects of contention.

The result from your test is very good, you may see a bit more on the actual throughput in a morning or overnight when it's quieter but the sync rate and IP profile won't go any faster.
thehatman
Grafter

Seed Test Results - OK?

Thanks for your reply. I thought it was probably OK, but I appreciate the detail you've included.

To be fair, I think PN support is noticeably more helpful and responsive than a few months back and I'm feeling like a satisfied customer more of the time again.

Just wish you'd make PAYG completely unshaped like these NewNet packages:

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/

What do you reckon to those packages compared with yours Dave?

Smiley
Community Veteran

Seed Test Results - OK?

What I find very annoying is that there is now no easy way of conducting a speedtest removing PN from the loop.

Not unless the speed is considered very low and you are prompted to undertake different tests. (which dont appear to work anyway).

So because your connection is running above predetermined minimums, you cant see just how much difference the PN network is making.

Thats one way of cutting down speed issue complaints, remove the ability for customers to identify the have one.

Many would have preferred the approach of just fixing the issues, but clearly thats not the BT way.

My connection is being its usual eratic self - and the bt speedtester wont even work. Its "busy".

As ISP's cant do anything to raise a speed related issue without any completed speedtests, then I doubt there will be any pressure from ISP's to fix this useless tester, no test, no speed issue raised, no fault. Brilliant.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Seed Test Results - OK?

To be fair, I think PN support is noticeably more helpful and responsive than a few months back and I'm feeling like a satisfied customer more of the time again.

That's always good to hear.

Just wish you'd make PAYG completely unshaped like these NewNet packages:

I think there is a bit of a misnomer that traffic shaping = bad, when the way I see things traffic shaping = good. Without management on the network you can't operate the network at full efficiency, once you start running at 90% utilisation some customers will start seeing ping spikes and packet loss across the board on all types of traffic. With traffic management you can ensure that only the lowest priority traffic is affected rather than everything.

There's a lot more that proper traffic management can offer, any ISP that doesn't take advantage of the technology are really opening themselves up to problems down the line. People that put value in their Internet connections are going to want quality of service, they are going to want to ensure that streaming video streams and that gaming pings are low and the way to do that is with traffic management.