cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security

RobDickson
Grafter

Security

It seems like an excellent Webmail facility. My only complaint is that the login isn't secure. Since my username and password are used to access my account details, this concerns me. I assume that this will be changed if it replaces the standard webmail facility.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Security

POP3 access always sends usernames & password in clear text - i.e. unencrypted. Your email client on your PC does exactly the same so it is working as intended.
RobDickson
Grafter

Security

Outlook Express always shows the secure padlock icon when connecting to e-mail servers, so I had always assumed that my username and password were transmitted securely. Thanks for putting me right.
Community Veteran

Security

Hmm... I've never seen a padlock shown on OE and I'm running the latest V6. Unless some of your mailboxes use SSL to connect, which a normal POP3 mailserver does not use.
N/A

Security

When OE reaches the "authorising" stage a padlock icon appears in the corner - but I'm pretty sure it's nothing more than an icon, and does not mean that the connection is secure.
Community Veteran

Security

Ahh, yes, if I look closely I can see it but it goes past very quick so I never really noticed before, and I suspect you are right, it's just a graphic (just like the inbox graphic when receiving mail) and not an actual padlock like it shows on IE.
N/A

Security

Well your old webmail shows a padlock when I'm entering my details.
I'm not using this trial version until one appears sorry.
csogilvie
Grafter

Security

Actually, thats only partly true. With the current, integrated into the portal webmail, It depends on where you click the link from as to whether its secure or not.