cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security issue

Community Veteran

Security issue

I'm currently having my line investigated for a fault and have had to switch off both my hardware and software firewall. What I want to know is how long for, just the 10 minutes of initial testing or for longer?

Though my computer is password protected so wouldn't be accessible to the casual person looking for open computers to mess around with, I'm none too happy about it being 'visible' (it's normally set to 'stealth') and thus vulnerable to a more probing attack.

I tried ringing the helpline but just encountered endless lists of options to choose from so gave up trying to reach a human being to talk to.

Also, do I need to leave everything switched on till the fault has been fully investigated? I ask this as I like to switch off my computer or put it in sleep mode when I go out and switch off the router as well.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Security issue

You can leave you computer switched off, as long as your router is on and connected to PN then there shouldn't be any problem. This should also address your security concerns! Cheesy
Community Veteran

Security issue

Thanks, Andy! I'll do that then.

I'm assuming it will be OK to switch my software firewall back on after the intitial testing then; is that so?

No problem leaving the hardware firewall off for a while.
Community Veteran

Security issue

Yes, as long as the router remains on and conected to the internet then theres no problem switching on any firewalls after the router!

The instructions you were given sound like they are generic steps for both routers and usb modems!
Community Veteran

Security issue

They were the instructions that come up in the automated fault checking process, so they probably are for both sorts of modem/router.

My old modem, which was connected via ethernet, had an elementary, unconfigurable firewall which couldn't be switched off, so I replaced it with a Netgear in order to be able to use VoIP. I'd be stuck if I hadn't changed it!
Community Veteran

Security issue

Hi

A little more on what Andy has already advised:-

Going way back (2 yrs I think) when I was asked to turn off my firewall for the fault checks, I queried a guy at PN about just leaving the router on.
From what I remember the advise was yeah thats fine, so long as you enable "ping from internet" within your router so that it will respond properly to testing.
Dunno if this was absolutely required or not, but it worked back then! Wink
After testing was completed I set my router back to how I had it before.
Community Veteran

Security issue

Hmmm. I don't seem to have any setting like that. I've set the router to allow anything in but I have to have that directed at a computer (mine) which is always set to 'stealth', so should give the same results whether it's switched on or off.
Community Veteran

Security issue

If you can't find that function, just leave the router on during the testing period as Andy suggested.

Anyhow, like I said before- I'm not sure if it is a true requirement or not.
Community Veteran

Security issue

Shockedops: Just found the 'ping' setting.
I was looking in the wrong place (firewall set-up) for it!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Security issue

Not sure if you know, but I'd advise running a security check. If you go to www.grc.com and run the 'Shields Up' it will probe your IP externally and tell you if any ports are open, closed or stealthed (which is what you want).

It's a handy site to double check your firewall is configured correctly.
James
Grafter

Security issue

*shudders at mention of Sheilds Up*
Community Veteran

Security issue

Hey James, seeing as you have visited the thread perhaps you could inform wether or not the OP needs (for the test purposes) to set his router to accept ping from the net - or not?

Would be nice to know one way or another, because I don't know if I am wasting the OP's time with something unnecessary, or actualy helping. Tongue
Community Veteran

Security issue

I'd advise running a security check.

First thing I did, and I checked things again each time I changed anything in the firewall! I used the one on the Symantec site as I have it bookmarked.

My Mac itself is stealthed anyway and password protected; the only thing not stealthed on the router is 'ping' - now I've found where to set it.
James
Grafter

Security issue

If BT ask the OP to lower the firewall, they generally mean to turn on the pinr request setting. That would be fine.
Community Veteran

Security issue

Thanks. Could it be that the reason the tests have been inconclusive so far is that though I'd opened all the router firewall ports I hadn't found out where to turn on 'ping'? I did have the computer firewall off for the initial 10 minute test (and a while longer). Hope this hasn't messed things up re the fault investigation.