Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School Holidays

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

School Holidays

Hi all,

Bit of an open ended question, discussion I'm looking for here. I posted this blog last week:

http://community.plus.net/trafficmanagement/2007/07/12/school’s-out/

Which goes into some detail about what we expect to see but we'd interested in hearing what customers think they'll see in terms of usage changes for their families over the holidays.

We've got data from Easter and last summer and other holidays but I'm wondering if people think their usage will take on a different pattern? Do you think the kids will be using the Internet more in an afternoon than normal? Will you do anything to limit their usage? What sort of usage do you think they/you'll be doing, more gaming for example?

Over to you...
2 REPLIES
pjemmanuel
Grafter

School Holidays

Well, going on my usage today (off peak so it wasn't me, I was in work) my children have done a little over 500MB, so yes, I would expect the usage pattern to change for the duration of the holidays. They've started their holidays today and I would guess that my daughter has spent the day on MSN, probably with the web cam running on at least two conversations, with one of them probably including audio.

However, I'm not too concerned about this, there's no P2P from here, no bit torrent, just surfing and communicating, we will just use more in the day than we would normally use. I would expect to approach the 13GB peak time usage, but I don't envisage getting as far as having restrictions applied.

As for actions to limit usage, I don't have any firm plans, other than to monitor their usage over the first few days - they are normally sporadic anyway. They may use a GB in a couple of days, then nothing for a few. If it gets higher I'll just let them know that they are using too much and to slow down - they normally comply with the request because they know I can switch their connection off, or limit the times of day that they can use it using the facilities of the firewall schedule in the router (Netgear DG834G).
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

School Holidays

That's interesting, that's probably fairly similar to Easter. Most of the increases then were gaming and web (web would include webcams). Looking at the traffic today HTTP is about the same as normal but there's a bit of an increase in the gaming servers traffic (that's things like Xbox live) around lunchtime but the more we can understand about usage patterns the easier it is for us to manage.