cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled download advice

Laser
Grafter

I apologise if this has been brought up before, but I couldn't see it...

There is now lots of emphasis on peak and off-peak for both Premier and BB+. (Let's NOT get into the arguments about that again here!) My suggestion is that since PlusNet pride themselves on offering online advice for their users, could help pages be added to the site outlining the steps necessary for a user to schedule a download off-peak?

For each major OS and each protocol an example could be given on how to, for example, wake up a computer out of standby, download a file, and shut down again.

This would allow people saying "try to download off peak" to add "as described here", which would be a more positive statement.
13 REPLIES
N/A

I suppose plusnet can pay my electricity bills then eh? Smiley And also give us a bit of a discount for using iTunes and stuff.... :roll:
Community Veteran

All of the info you are requesting is readily available on the internet already so why should PN spend valuable time just re-inventing the wheel.

A few google searchs is all you need to find out how to schedule downloads for various applications.
N/A

Sorry Peter,

P2P is a widely used app by even the most in-experienced users. Some users may perhaps not know what they are looking for and so start to worry.
However, it would be a bit of time lost for Plusnet to have someone write the tutorials, but I would think this is another thing for the usergroup to put under their belt Smiley

Regards,
Laser
Grafter

I know the info can be found elsewhere, but then so can most of the stuff in the help pages. I have never read any of the blurb about setting up email clients or configuring my PC (either of which is arguably in the manual). That doesn't mean nobody else wants to read it.

The point of the suggestion is that PN are frequently encouraging users to "schedule large downloads for off-peak times". It seems only reasonable then that the help pages on the site should tell the user how he might do so. It just sounds slightly more professional if you can point to a guide on how to do something you are saying people should do, rather than saying "you can probably find out somehow". PN make a point of promoting their self-help concept, which just makes the point even more relevant.
gsol75
Dabbler

I agree this is a very good question to ask because a lot of people will want to do this now the BB+ guides have been finally explained
One of the pn reps even suggested in another thread that this should be discussed separately

I think that you can set up a Scheduled Task to start your p2p program at 0000 and then stop running after 8 hours
You would have to set up your download list first
You wouldn't be able to know if other users were going to be online so you could make a larger download list and hope that some of the users would be online

Any problems with this? Any other ideas?
N/A

why should PN spend valuable time just re-inventing the wheel.

Flippin heck, lasernet only asked a polite question. He even opened his question with an apology
Not everybody is internet savvy you know.
Plusnet made the requests that downloads be scheduled for off peak time.
It's not unreasonable that they help out people willing to, but not sure how, to go along with that request.
Community Veteran

I doubt PlusNet would offer this kind of advice but if anyone knows alot on the subject and would like to write a tutorial they could submit it to the Tutorials Team for inclusion in that forum and on Usertools.

Chris
N/A

plusnet is probably the most head ache ISP'S i've been on now, im out of this whole thing, i want my mac Evil

Also, there are SO many P2P Networks, theres from DC++ Networks to C+ and all the rest of it, they all require different tutorials of scheduling....
tcs2000
Grafter

I agree with lasernet.
Now that Plusnet have changed the goalposts in connection with usage, the least they can do is explain how you can schedule downloading.
There were no warning e-mails sent out and ironically I received a mail today saying my account was being monitored and managed until my next billing date.I've been on lower speeds for a week!
N/A

tcs2000, try changing your listening port, if you have the option to do so, thats what I did :lol: But still...Alot of people signed up to plusnet thinking they have the right to download stuff during peak hours with no problem, I mean it did say "Unlimited" well in september it did.....Well I'm moving on to bethere.co.uk in a weeks time, got my MAC Wink
Community Veteran

No plusnet products have been advertised as unlimited since 2004. So how it said unlimited in september is beyond me.
N/A

I mean it did say "Unlimited" well in september it did

Which September? Certainly not in Sept 2005. No doubt about that. 2004 might have been close. Smiley
N/A

A few programs with scheduling enabled

For Bittorrent, try Azureus with the "Speed Scheduler" plugin, which can throttle or even pause the transfers during Plusnet's peak hours.

For Usenet, Newsbin 5 has scheduling support, or use Easynews' Zipmanager service with a scheduling download manager like Getright.

Of course, the Easynews/Getright idea would actually be useful if the entire Easynews IP block wasn't being throttled!
What is the point of Ellacoya's "stateful packet inspection" if they're just going to block the IP anyway! :x