cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scary Stuff

jabb0
Grafter

Scary Stuff

I have referred 1of my friends to this ISP and was thinking about doing the same with my mates girlfriend.
But one look at all this traffic manaement stuff and she is gonna run a mile, not cos it will affect her in any way whatsoever, but cos she will not have the slightest clue as to what it all means.
I could just NOT show her all the stuff, but thats slightly unethical.
I could try and explain but i will fail miserably.

So wot do i do? - i fink PN has been good to me over the years, and i am sure they would be good to her too - but she wont give you the time of day after i show her all this malarky.

Methinks all i can do is show PN + Tiscali and let he make up her own mind. And at that i think her choice wil be based on simplicity of the service as opposed to quality.

A t heart i agree with all this stuff, but at face value its information overload.

This is her first internet connection - she wont know wot p2p is, but that dont mean she wont want to use it in the future, at which point its too late to do anything about without forking out more dosh (talking about upgrade fee, or gettingout of the 12 month contract here).

Its obvious that if i had nothin to do with this she wouldnt look anywhere near the management stuff, but im putting my repuation on the line by recommending PN (who she wouldnt know about if it werent for me) and not showing her this info just seems sneaky.

I would like a hell of a lot more than 50p/month just for the amount of time this is going to take this evening.

c'mon guys this stuff needs to be simpler - for your own sake @PN!!!

PS got logged out again trying to post - sort that out too, pretty goddam please!!!
13 REPLIES
N/A

Scary Stuff

Agreed, they need a non frills "this is what you can do, this is what you cant do" and at what times. Simple english with maybe a pritty pic or two for all those that we would like to sign up (not that we would at the moment) that do not understand all this "teknikal" stuff Smiley
N/A

Scary Stuff

Agreed.
VMBU should have a graph of peak time usage (and how much is left), a graph of P2P/Usenet/FTP usage (and how much is left).

This should have been done at the same time as rolling out the limits, not months after. Prospective customers have been put off and current customers have left (or are thinking of it). Somewhat of a management and organisational faux-pas Wink

I'd also like some proper documentation of the application profiling used, but that may be asking too much.
passer
Grafter

Scary Stuff

Agreed also.
I empathise with you, jabb0. I've just been through the same thing myself, absolutely identical situation. In the end, I recommended her into PlusNet, and the setup process was superb - 8 days end-to-end. I skipped through all the usage stuff with her, but I know that if it becomes an issue, I'm in the cack! I did the same thing with another friend last summer, an equally fresh-to-ADSL guy who's been perfectly happy with what he gets. But jeez - I wish they'd make it easier to understand - the average joe hasn't got a clue what any of it means, and I feel like I'm delivering a technical networks seminar trying to explain it to them!
___oDiN__
Grafter

Re: Scary Stuff

I have referred 1of my friends to this ISP and was thinking about doing the same with my mates girlfriend.
But one look at all this traffic manaement stuff and she is gonna run a mile, not cos it will affect her in any way whatsoever, but cos she will not have the slightest clue as to what it all means.

no offense but if its not going to affect her then whats the problem?

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Fixed your UBBC code for quote]
passer
Grafter

Scary Stuff

I rather think the problem is that she won't really understand that it won't affect her, so she'll be frightened of it, and leg it to find something she does understand. Ignorance may be bliss, but not if it's costing you!
N/A

Scary Stuff

I think that "simplicity" is a feature that many consumers demand when they make choices of goods or services, and it's an area where Plusnet will not realize their full growth potential unless they design some simple options to cater for that need, and resist the urge to keep changing the offering.
N/A

Re: Scary Stuff

no offense but if its not going to affect her then whats the problem?

I doubt half of the limits on Premier will effect me (as my average usage is under 30GB a month, let alone within peak time) but that doesn't stop me being very annoyed at the confusion and the way it's been implemented.
Also, in a way, everyone with the service is effected. How long have plusnet staff had to spend trying to answer queries, manually check and update usage patterns, deal with support requests, read and re-read their own material, etc. All of which detracts from dealing with what I would consider far more pressing, the job of running the service and keeping customers happy. I'm sure that the process of developing, implementing, tweaking, backtracking, explaining and son on that we've been through has been extraordinarily time and resource consuming within Plusnet. Look at the increase on ticket-repsonse times, queries in-progress and calls waiting to be answered over the last year Wink
N/A

Scary Stuff

My friend recommended plusnet to me. I mildly resent him for it.
N/A

Scary Stuff

Quote of the day! (if not the week, month or year) Maybe we should get some t-shirts made up with that on Wink

Seriously though, over 50% of people who responded to the poll "Why did you choose our Internet service?" were recommended by someone. This poll won't be totally representative of all customers, but it's something the management of PlusNet should ensure they remember.
Community Veteran

Scary Stuff

@ ruggedtoast :lol: LMAO
N/A

Scary Stuff

Maybe we should get some t-shirts made up with that on.

We'd better get them in XXL if we're to get all that on them. :lol:
N/A

Scary Stuff

Yeah, i recommended 3 guys onto PN, deeply regret it now.
channel
Grafter

Scary Stuff

I currently have 4 referrals and I deeply regret that I made them.

In return for about £10 I have to look these people in the eye, all the time knowing that I am on the verge of desertion.... When or if I do go, then they will be getting a written notification from me, explaining a) my reasons for recommending and b) my reasons for leaving.

In the end, they will decide.

In the meantime, I have begun donating my referral bonuses to charity, to somewhat lessen my guilt.