cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared and Confused

dalryc
Dabbler

Scared and Confused

I'm due to get my connection is Plusnet activated tomorrow but from what I've read here I'm scared that I don't have a clue if my download usage will be within any of the acceptable usage statements.

Can I ask for some clarity in my case?

I believe that I signed for the Premier 1 product that does not appear to have any bandwidth restrictions during off peak (12 midnight-4pm) usage. However, traffic prioritisation is in effect.

Can I download as much usenet traffic between midnight and 4pm without the total amount being capped?

I've also got an IP profile of 7Mbps - am I likley to realise that with usenet traffic?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Scared and Confused

usenet traffic, like P2P & FTP are the most restricted protocols and they are given a limited amount of bandwidth to share out amongst everyone. Restrictions are less off-peak but they still exist.

PN do not have any limits for off-peak periods BUT if you do downloads several 100GBs of data repeatedly, you may be spoken too as you may be breaching the SUP (Sustainable Usage Policy) which states your usage must not impact others use of the service.

As for what speeds you will get, that is a complete unknown as there are many factors (some outside of PNs control) that may limit what you can get.
N/A

Scared and Confused

It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

There are no caps nor will you probably hit any bandwidth limits. However as you use more you will be slowed down by the prioritisation. Usenet and P2P in particular are viewed as low priority and therefore you are very unlikely to see anything like full speed on them even overnight.

It's not so much a question of acceptable usage, but of the fact that Plusnet have a serious capacity problem at the moment due to refusing to purchase more bandwidth. They are therefore giving priority to low bandwidth users and web access, and little priority to Usenet/P2P/downloads and high users.
N/A

Scared and Confused

BTW you have no doubt seen the phrase "No fixed download limits" and read it incorrectly (as you are intended to do, of course). Read it again slowly. And again.

It doesn't say "no download limits". It says "no fixed download limits".
N/A

Scared and Confused

Stay within 13GB (peak) and 100GB (total off-peak & peak) per month for option 1 and you should be fine.
N/A

Scared and Confused

Stay within 13GB (peak) and 100GB (total off-peak & peak) per month for option 1 and you should be fine.

Not if he wants to get 7Mb/s from Usenet :lol:
N/A

Scared and Confused

You can go over 100Mb per month off-peak and never be contacted regarding it, i think i was about 130 off-peak for 6 months in a row and no-one mentioned anything to me.
dalryc
Dabbler

Scared and Confused

I think I'll be getting my MAC code as soon as possible and migrating to an Entanet reseller.

I'm currently averaging 250Mb for usenet traffic only per month.

Entanet resellers have specific bandwidth limits (which appear to be better than what I'm hearing here) that are easy to understand and they do not traffic shape.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Scared and Confused

You can go over 100Mb per month off-peak and never be contacted regarding it, i think i was about 130 off-peak for 6 months in a row and no-one mentioned anything to me.
Slight correction - 100GB per month Smiley
Community Veteran

Scared and Confused

who are entatnets uk partners. I could not find any details on their site.

A
N/A

Scared and Confused

I tried to find that information also but I couldn't either A.
N/A

Scared and Confused

who are entatnets uk partners.

Aquiss, Freeola, Swift, UKFSN, Vivaciti, Xifos
dalryc
Dabbler

Scared and Confused

I just got connected today.

At 7am, speed down is 1.9Mbps and speed up is 384Kbps.

That's worse than my previously 7Mbps IP profile which was throttled to 2.0Mbps/448Kbps by my ISP.

I'm not sure if there's a training period for my line.
Community Veteran

Scared and Confused

You may find that you need to go through the training proccess again.

A
dalryc
Dabbler

Scared and Confused

It took just a couple of emails to support to get this correct - back on full speed now downloading from usenet at 6Mbps.