Did you mean: 

Same Capacity Now As In jan 2005 ?

N/A

Hi

Just looking at

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/pnPipes.htm

http://ccgi.kittz.plus.com/peak/bwtable.php

The bandwith plusnet has now is equal to what they had in jan 2005..?

Is the information on the site wrong or what im confused

thxs
39 REPLIES
kitz
Rising Star

>> The bandwith plusnet has now is equal to what they had in jan 2005..?

Yes...

In January 2005 Plusnet had 10 x 155Mb pipes and 2 x 622Mb pipes (of which 7 segments were active) giving an overall available total of 2635Mb

Today they have all 622's (of which 17 segments are active) giving a total available of 2635Mb.

... and no.

The 155Mb pipes and 622Mb pipes are very different in the way that they work. To try and simplify things.. basically the 155s were ATM whilst the 622's are Ethernet (Gig-E Fibre Optic) and have very different overheads. The 622's being way more efficient than the 155's and having something like a 23% better end-user throughput.

This means that 5 of the old style 155Mb pipes roughly equate to 1 of the new 622 Mb pipes.

You can see from the table in February when they replaced the old pipes and replaced them with the 622's

Hope this helps clarify things.
N/A

Hi Kittz,

But they have got 30,000 + new customers since then. What bandwidth are they using?

Out of the goodness of my heart I am giving them mine I am moving on.

Regards

Steve

P.S. Any idea on when BT are going to stop messing about with our exchange?
kitz
Rising Star

>>> But they have got 30,000 + new customers since then

yep and a valid point that I harp on about elsewhere

>> Out of the goodness of my heart I am giving them mine I am moving on

Good luck Steve, sorry to see you go :/

>> Any idea on when BT are going to stop messing about with our exchange?

Dunno.. I noticed it was showing as amber on the metronet checker the other day.. tbh... internet access for me is a bit more akward for me right now since my lappy borked the other w/e.. so Im using my bf's work one atm, whilst hes busy doing other things.
Therefore Ive not been able to monitor things as close as I normally would.
N/A

H

Thanks kitz for explaing it to me, i have used you site on a few occasion and found it very helpful,

As to my op it was not meant as a dig at you but mainly to get somefeed back on the issue which i 100% belive is network capacity,

The most interest to me was the utilisation table which im sure if you had the time and information would show a interesting figure in what spare bandwith would be like now seeing that that since august the additioanl 2x,000 new users, but then again if the ellacoys are doing the job then there will or should show a almost identical surplus,

thanks again
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But they have got 30,000 + new customers since then. What bandwidth are they using?

In the same period how many thousand users have had an upgrade from 512 or 1M up to 2M?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

In the same period how many thousand users have had an upgrade from 512 or 1M up to 2M?

That's been a big issue with many ADSL ISP's.
Increased bandwidth demands brought by higher speeds but no increase in income.

The BTw bulk upgrade sounded great to the end user but I think the intention was to get the ISP's to buy more Centrals and that's where BTw make most of their income from ADSL from.
ceridwen
Grafter

Hence PN came up with a rather clever solution - don't charge for speed but for bandwidth.

i.e. let everyone have the fastest their line could support (up to 8Mb if available) but charge the light users 21.99, the medium light users 29.99, the medium users 39.99, the medium heavy users 49.99 and heavy users 59.99 based on different peak time thresholds.

However, they abandoned it.

Matthew
kitz
Rising Star

yw geraintmx

>> im sure if you had the time

The problem is the new style graphs are unreadable and dont show the overall true figure... what about the business users bandwidth too.. those figures arent shown so it would just be pure speculation.
In fact they dont really show an awful lot apart from look pretty..
I stopped monitoring the graphs on the day they brought out the new style because of these reasons.:/

>> if the ellacoys are doing the job

Then that when you see graphs that flatline for most of the day.
a good example would be from the 4th Sept on here
http://ccgi.kittz.plus.com/bw/

(and that was before they were kicking in full pelt.)
N/A

Perhaps thats why they were withdrawn in favour of the new style. I guess if they are only able to maintain some headroom by constantly throttling certain protocols, then they don't want something so stark as bandwidth graphs that highlight this fact :lol:

I asked this in another thread, but will ask again as I know Kittz is something of an expert in this area. The three remaining unlit 155mb segments were, I believe, purchased in Feb 2005. Does that mean that Plusnet are contractually oblidged to bring all three on board sometime between now and February?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The fact that they haven't brought any on board by now makes me suspicious that rather than activate the three remaining segments, they intend to close the pipe down altogether. It just depends on whether the bandwidth management measures can control the heavy downloaders in time.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Hmm, interesting comment.
In which case its okay to lose enough users so that they con recoup the costs by being able to turn off some of the pipe. The more people that leave surely the more this is likely.
kitz
Rising Star

The three remaining unlit 155mb segments were, I believe, purchased in Feb 2005. Does that mean that Plusnet are contractually oblidged to bring all three on board sometime between now and February?

Yes - the 1st segment of "Pipe 5" was activated on 22nd of Feb 2005.

For BT Central 622 Mbit/s L2TP, a Customer can initially order any one of the bandwidth increments listed below and can flex this up to the maximum at any time during the first 12 months. At the end of this 12 month period, the full BT Central 622 Mbit/s L2TP charge will apply regardless of the current increments being rented.

The bandwidth increments are in 155Mb steps.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

So presumably PlusNet don't have to light the extra segments before 22nd of Feb 2006, but it would be stupid not to, as after that they would still have to pay for them. :?

Phil
kitz
Rising Star

rather than activate the three remaining segments, they intend to close the pipe down altogether.

Not possible

Operative Date 20-10-2005
Flexing the bandwidth down is not an option.

There is also a 2 year contract on a 622 L2TP passthrough, so which ever way by the end of Feb 2006 the pipe may as well be in full utilisation because they will have to pay for it.. and they also have to keep it until at least Feb 2007.

Because of the 2 year contract they cant yet shut any of the other 622's down either.