cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNCING AT 6000+ BT SPEEDTEST GIVES ME 128k

tangey
Grafter

I raised a broadband fault after seeing very poor thruput this last couple of days (I've been maxadsl for about 1 month). I did a BT speedtest which told me the thruput was 128K. The ticket raised was 19627908. That was at 6:30 last night. 20 mins later the ticket was updated to say the broadband test failed and the query would be escalated. That was about 24hrs ago and no further updates have been made to the ticket.

What can I expect to happen, do I need to take further action, will the ticket and the problem be looked at by someone, or is there a chance the ticket will fall into the plusnet ticket blackhole ?
14 REPLIES
N/A

i had a similar problem to yours but i discovered it was caused by my telephone increasing noise on the line when it's plugged in. When the telephone is removed my download speeds shot up. need to get myself a better microfilter. But maybe you've already tried it.
N/A

and another strange thing, My router was syncing at ~6500kbps, but when i plugged the router into the master socket the sync went to ~8100kbps i then plugged the router back into the original phone socket and the sync has stayed at 8100kbps. just have to wait for my stable rate to increase on bt's side.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at your speed history it seems to be going up and down quite a bit. There could be a number of reasons for this. As Paul says above it could easily be caused by a phone or faulty filter.

Take a read through

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything there helps.
BigDaz
Grafter

Mine was the same. The speed is lowered to correct the errors you're probably getting. New filters and switching from a pci modem to a router seems to have fixed it, or at least improved it a lot.
tangey
Grafter

Dave,

The initial up and down speeds co-incide with the initial 10 day period. After thaty speed was reasonably stable. Yesterday, two separate speed tests gave me 128K. Two speedtest today are giving me 256K.

filter has been changed, phone has been changed, router has been changed, nothing else on this line, no extensions etc.

This is the plusnet reply I got as a result of the test being run on the line:-
"The results indicate that the fault may be caused by a problem with our systems. More information may be available on our Service Status page.Please check Service Status.If there is no service-wide problem reported on Service Status, we will provide an update when we have more information."

Now that communicates to me that the problem lies at plusnets end, the reply also went on to state that the ticket had been esclated. That was two days ago. nothing has been added to the ticket since, except by me. I assume the escalator runs slowly.

I thank Dave T for his response on here, but it appears to go against the official reply posted to the ticket, which clear states that the fault may be to do with plusnets systems, and does not even hint that the fault is anything to do with my side. Dave, you are suggesting its a possible dodgy filter, how would I get that suggestion from the official reply ? (I know you didn't know it at the time, but all equipment after the faceplate here has been changed).
N/A

I have this exact same problem as well. Could it be due to the new presence of interleaving on my line, which i just noticed today?

I hope this problem gets fixed soon as having near 56k speeds again is dissapointing, though im not going to hold my breath as customer services aren't exactly responsive... Sad
tangey
Grafter

I have just completed another BT speedtest. I now get 238Kbit/s from it. Today my plusnet MSR has went from 2000 down to 500, and yet my router is syncing higher than before, now at 6846.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The reply you have is very likely an automated one from the faults system. Its response will be based on the information it has, but I don't think it has enough information to make process the correct conclusion which is why the ticket has been sent to someone to check manually and it's sent an email to check status in case it's a service wide problem.

I've added a comment to your ticket about what I think may be the reason for the speeds.
tangey
Grafter

Thanks for your intervention.

I have reported a pstn fault to BT. To be honest this line has had this same fault for 3+ years, right thru ISDN, to ADSL and ADSLmax. However with ADSL, when the fault appeared, it didn't have long last effects. The ADSLmax "smartness" seems to result in the line performance being forced low for a long long time after the glitch occurs.

I have a similar PSTN fault to one that is being discussed in the usergroup forums. out of apparently "nowhere" I get ADSL noise on the phone line. If I get this noise, then on picking up the phone, the router loses sync. and as the router starts the re-sync process the noise re-appears. If I keep the phone to my ear, and unplug the router from the filter,such that the only thing connected is now the phone, all the adsl noise disappears (of course), but I can faintly hear some crackles on the line. These crackles then generally disappear if either I "flash" the phone hook a few times, or sometimes I have to unplug and plug the phone in and out a view times. Or sometimes I just leave it and come back.

All kit myside of the face plate has been changed, as has the face plate.

As I said, this problem was annoying on the previous ADSL, but once I got the line cleared I got full bandwidth until the next time it occurred. It appears that ADSLmax's "knowledge" of my line is actually giving me overall poorer performance.
N/A

Is there any chance that you could find out what is wrong with my connection? I raised a ticket number 19634590
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

All kit myside of the face plate has been changed, as has the face plate.

That makes me wonder if it's something not on the line but causing interference, sufficient to cause the line to re-sync at a lower rate for a few minutes.

In the past I've seen the following things cause problems with broadband, do you (or a neighbour) have any of these which may be causing problems. Some of them might sound a little strange, but if I list everything I can think of that I've seen cause problems over the years may ring a bell (especially if you can tie it in with the times). If not then hopefully BT can track something down.

The list of things that have caused problems:

Central heating systems
Security lights
Street lights
Christmas lights
Microwave ovens
Electric fences
UPS devices
Cordless phones
Wireless networks (including TV/video senders)
Fish tanks

Yep, I think that's exactly it, the BT systems work against you in this because it only takes a few minutes at a lower sync rate for the throughput to go down and at least 3 days to go back up.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Is there any chance that you could find out what is wrong with my connection? I raised a ticket number 19634590

Hi,

Have you done the BT Speedtest? If so what speed are you seeing?

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
tangey
Grafter

I thank you for your thoughts, and I'll think about anything I have that might be coming on or off.
N/A

I carried out the BT speed test 3 times yesterday during non peak hours, each time the result was around 128kbps.