Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWG_DSL_101 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in July 2

benskia
Grafter

Hey.

Looking for some help from someone who knows all about this stuff...

So does this mean I can get the speed upgraded yet?
It says when it commences, but not when it will be complete.

Should I ring to get my speed increased now or do I still have to wait?

Thanks.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

you can get it done now if you pay £14.99 if not you just have to wait for BT and keep checking your sync speed (BT don't always tell PN the upgrade is complete, hence PN can't e-mail you).
jagger
Grafter

hmmm.
I've been waiting patiently for my exchange to be upgraded for free.I also have managed to find a July date now slipped to August.
But how the devil are we now less than patient (i've been paying for a 2meg line but getting 512k) punters meant to actually find out when our respective exchanges are upgraded? Will my crappy old modem tell me?

the bt checker says my line can take 2meg.i've got 39.5 local and 31.5 remote attenuation with a SNR of 33.5db.Can I already get it?

Please,anyone,is there a source of accurate information that publishes upgraded exchange details?

got this from your link no7olivier

Results From The BT PDF
User Submitted Results

There Were No Results for Your Search
N/A

Not really. The information provided by BT, as you have found, is less than accurate and in any event was always a rough guide.

Chances are, you will know that the upgrade has taken place before BT even get around to telling Plus Net. Once your modem / router reports that it is connecting at the higher speed, that is about the most accurate info you are going to get.

Not ideal I know, but then it is BT.
jagger
Grafter

Thanks Mark.
Thats the most info I've ever got on this subject.
Top hole.Ta.
N/A

I have found out that my exchange (SWCMN Cumnock) is set to be upgraded on 6th Sept.
At present BT have provisioned my line at 1mbps
When I phoned BT the person I spoke to said they checked my line and it should be able to accept 2mbps when the upgrade takes place.
When they upgrade, will my connection automatically increase or do i need to do something?
Community Veteran

When they upgrade, will my connection automatically increase or do i need to do something?

This is what I'm wondering too. Both the ADSL Guide speed check and BT's speed checker now show my connection at a speed indicating it has been upgraded from 512kbs to 2MBs, so I'm assuming it has been. (The PlusNet speed checker hasn't worked properly for me since I introduced a wireless bridge with built-in firewall into my set-up!) The DSLAM upgrade was scheduled to commence in July. However, it doesn't seem much faster, except for some software update downloads I did yesterday.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
Community Veteran

Please,anyone,is there a source of accurate information that publishes upgraded exchange details?

AFAIK the only place to find out wether your exchange has been updated is to check my upgrades checker. I don't know how accurate the info is, it is provided by users.
jagger
Grafter

what ,like this Cheesy

Results From The BT PDF
User Submitted Results

There Were No Results for Your Search

Appreciate the help,was just hoping that PN had noticed how urined orf a lot of waiting customers are,and maybe helped them find some info.But if it can't be found then i'd guess not.
Community Veteran

It used to be in a sticky at one point. Shame it was unstickied as It is still needed.
N/A

An example: I was upgraded last week (balham exchange), and BT hadn't informed PN, so I didn't get an email warning me about it.

First I knew was when I downloaded the same file 3 or 4 times thinking it wasn't working Wink

As I hadn't received an email, I sent a contact us ticket to PN letting them know that my line had been upgraded and asking them if they could make sure that my account settings were updated and suchlike. Got a reply back the next morning saying it was all sorted - although in fairness I hadn't noticed any problems, but wanted to make sure.

One thing to bare in mind: general web surfing, particularly on less "heavy" sites, won't be too much different - it's not like going from 56k to ADSL. If you tweak your browser you can see some improvements, and obviously anywhere that's flash, video or image heavy will load faster.

Where I particularly see a difference is small downloads - 5-10Mb - which can be done in a minute or so. And, obviously downloading game demos, podcasts, that sort of thing is vastly better.

Oh yeah - and google earth Wink
jagger
Grafter

thanks anorak.
that's just made my itchy trigger finger twitch.
i might just have to pay that 15 squid and get it for defo.
Community Veteran

An example: I was upgraded last week (balham exchange), and BT hadn't informed PN, so I didn't get an email warning me about it.

As I hadn't received an email, I sent a contact us ticket to PN letting them know that my line had been upgraded and asking them if they could make sure that my account settings were updated and suchlike. Got a reply back the next morning saying it was all sorted - although in fairness I hadn't noticed any problems, but wanted to make sure.

One thing to bare in mind: general web surfing, particularly on less "heavy" sites, won't be too much different - it's not like going from 56k to ADSL. If you tweak your browser you can see some improvements, and obviously anywhere that's flash, video or image heavy will load faster.

Where I particularly see a difference is small downloads - 5-10Mb - which can be done in a minute or so. And, obviously downloading game demos, podcasts, that sort of thing is vastly better.

That sounds exactly like what I'm getting - small downloads taking much less time but web sites not loading much faster. Thanks! I'll contact PN tomorrow about it.

...... Ha! No need to contact PN tomorrow after all, as I've just this minute had a notification e-mail about my free upgrade. Hurrah!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

...... Ha! No need to contact PN tomorrow after all, as I've just this minute had a notification e-mail about my free upgrade. Hurrah!

Nicely!

Another good example: last night I downloaded the NASA World Wind programme (like google earth), which is 45Mb. Took about 4 mins - it was finished well before I'd finished reading the bumf on the site.