cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSI Server Side Includes?

N/A

SSI Server Side Includes?

Does anyone know if we get SSIs on our normal web server. On a previous ISP I could use an SSI to call a standard block of html code from every page. That way I could keep one copy of my banner and menu system and include it on every page. I think the command was "include" or similar. I know that the FrontPage server would probably do this, but I don't use FP. I know I could use frames, but would prefer not to as I don't like the way frames mess up peoples "favourites" linking etc.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: SSI Server Side Includes?

> Does anyone know if we get SSIs on our normal web server. On a previous ISP I could use an SSI to call a standard block of html code from every page. That way I could keep one copy of my banner and menu system and include it on every page. I think the command was "include" or similar. I know that the FrontPage server would probably do this, but I don't use FP. I know I could use frames, but would prefer not to as I don't like the way frames mess up peoples "favourites" linking etc.

I am fairly sure that you can only use SSI for pages that are located on your CGI space. Bit of a pain I'm afraid but thats the way that Plusnet have it organised.

I have overcome this with my Model Railway Webpages by greating a standard blank page that I use as a template for any new pages.
This template has all the links to the graphics and return to home page built in and I store all the often used graphics in their own folder.
This way I only need one copy that can be called from any page on the site and only need to add the text and pictures relevent to that page.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

> Does anyone know if we get SSIs on our normal web server. On a previous ISP I could use an SSI to call a standard block of html code from every page. That way I could keep one copy of my banner and menu system and include it on every page. I think the command was "include" or similar. I know that the FrontPage server would probably do this, but I don't use FP. I know I could use frames, but would prefer not to as I don't like the way frames mess up peoples "favourites" linking etc.
Hi there,
To make SSI work in your regular webspace, you will need to add the following directive in an .htaccess file:
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
This will allow you to use SSI, with the exception of Exec statements.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, all is working great now.
Many thanks Mike (PlusNet Support)
and for your suggestions John.
N/A

> That's exactly what I wanted to hear, all is working great now.
> Many thanks Mike (PlusNet Support)
> and for your suggestions John.
Not a problem BobbyV. Let us know if you have any problems.
Regards,
Mike
--
N/A

> Let us know if you have any problems.

Well, one thing Mike; I want the default index page to now be index.shtml and therefore added the following entry to my .htaccess file (which I have placed in the htdocs folder):
DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.htm
but the default page is still index.htm. If I delete that, it still doesn't server up the index.shtml file, just a directory listing.
I would like to keep an old index.htm file (with just a re-direct to index.shtml) in case people are linking to my URL with the index.htm in their link.
What have I missed?
Should my .htaccess file be in the root?
Bob
N/A

> What have I missed?
> Should my .htaccess file be in the root?
> Bob
Hi Bob,
I think the problem here is that the main homepages server will not allow DirectoryIndex as an .htaccess directive.
I'd personally stick with a redirect page with something like a meta redirect tag in the headers.
Regards,
Mike
--
N/A

Wow, that's fast!
I understand Mike and that explains it. Is there anywhere on PlusNet where I can find out what directives are available to users, I did look some time ago but found nothing?
Bob
> I think the problem here is that the main homepages server will not allow DirectoryIndex as an .htaccess directive.
N/A

> Wow, that's fast!
> I understand Mike and that explains it. Is there anywhere on PlusNet where I can find out what directives are available to users, I did look some time ago but found nothing?
Hi there,
I don't believe there is a list, but I'll see if I can press networks into providing me with a list :-)
Regards,
Mike
--