cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH question

Firejack
Grafter

SSH question

Across the Plus.net platform is SSH managed in any way during peak hours? Or, is it just managed for those customers using excessive bandwidth as detailed in todays "Sustainable Usage Guide"?

Really hope for some clarity and a response to which the second of those two options apply.

Come 2 weeks time I'll be using a lot of services over SSH including gaming, video conferencing and VoIP and these obviously would not be unusable with any sort of throttled effects on SSH through the Plus.net network.

Thanks.
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

SSH question

SSH is either currently or shortly will be shaped just like P2P and usenet as it is becoming more popular to use for P2P. So using it as a way to bypass the shaping for P2P data transfers will no longer be possible.

This will undoubtably affect 'normal' SSH usage.
Firejack
Grafter

SSH question

This is a complete disaster for me. Couldn't of come at a worse time. Unless Plus.net themselves can suggest some way around this problem or I can find a solution. I'll be forced to leave Plus.net -- really don't want to have to do that after so many years Sad
N/A

SSH question

solution :

download netcat
run netcat on server
use netcats inbuilt server for ssh etc

as its not SSH or telnet Wink teehee

and OMG!!! you are filtering SSH FFS!, whats next, am i gonna log into my server and find I have a 10min lag as its not seen as a priority serviceHuh

There will ALWAYS be people that find ways around meassures put in place to stop them, it is human nature, however for the VAST majority of PN customers who are too moronic to run a firewall // AV do you reaaaaaaaaaaaly think they will work out SSH Tunneling to get past all this -- plus they would ALL need to go rent dedicated servers etc to run the SSHds on. Jebus! and for those that DO know how to do it -- they will just find ANOTHER way around the limits to get the warez etc faster and faster -- so here is an idea, STOP with the filtering and the expensive kit that you need to do it with, SELL THAT, get MORE bandwidth and treat your customers with RESPECT and stop screwing over the ones that do need the internet for other things than downloading the pr0n
Firejack
Grafter

SSH question

Ah ha. Nice find. Finally something useful for my spare Linux box to do. I shall give it a try. Thanks mate Cool
N/A

SSH question

firejack - That would only work if your linux box is not on the same connection, as the SSH traffic is only encrypted up to the end point of the tunnel, then it is perfectly transparent for all traffic that travels beyond the end point of the tunnel.
N/A

SSH question

Sorry, could someone clarify - SSH traffic is now being classed as 'bronze' traffic? What about SSL? IPsec?

plus they would ALL need to go rent dedicated servers etc to run the SSHds on

Exactly! You can't tunnel a connection unless you have somewhere to tunnel to!

This measure is clearly aimed to stop large P2Pers from bypassing the usual traffic shaping, but in reality will be ineffective. If I were such a person and wanted to get round it, I'd just initiate all downloads form the dedicated box and retrieve the files over HTTP/FTP!
Community Veteran

SSH question

A answer from Dave would be good on this one. Also wold there be a way to set the ellacoya up to only do it for ssh when it needs ove x amount of bandwith I'm presuming here that a connection to a server does not need a lot.
N/A

SSH question

depends what you do over SSH doesnt it, if you do SFTP (ftp over ssh) for backups .. then yes, it will be a large ammount. If however all you do is a few commands, then no, it wont be large ammounts. How long will it take for PN to realise that there will always be around limits for those dedicated enough to look, so there is no point in mucking everyone around just to stop these few -- as they will never be stoped.

If they filter SSH, use VPN, if they filter VPN use telnet, if they filter telnet, use netcat, if they filter netcat write your own socket transfer progam -- takes about 10 mins in VB / C# / C++ and there are plenty of tutorials out there on how to get started. Hey even use HTTPGET to get the files. So there we go a list of ways to get files that does not involve P2P... wow... so is PN going to filter them allHuh?

//edit : it also seems that PN say that FTP is not filterd // will not be filterd so wayhay! everyone get UltraFXP (free) and start that downloading now!! :-)
Ben_Brown
Grafter

SSH question

SSH is not filtered or shaped on our connections in general. The SSH shaping mentioned in the Sustainable Usage Policy FAQ only applies to the peak usage and 24/7 profiles, so the vast majority of customers will not be affected by this.
Community Veteran

SSH question

Right so on gold silver bronze for the majority where is ssh?
N/A

SSH question

Thats good to know, I was thinking that when grabbing my stuff from my server I may have issues with it being limited whihc wouldn't be helpful for say, latest slackware ISO's which although I can get via http would sometimes prefer to be doing through scp or sFTP
N/A

SSH question

what exactly do you intend to gain from filtering SSH? going to filter MSN and IRC now? (not DCC sends) if this is all for your "gamers" market ffs! what about the rest of us.. or is PlusNet gonna become "GameNet the isp for Gamers"
Ben_Brown
Grafter

SSH question

We filter SSH on the managed profiles as people can circumvent the p2p management by tunnelling through SSH.

As far as I'm aware SSH is in the silver queue. To this date since the introduction of the gold/silver/bronze service we have never dropped any silver traffic.
N/A

SSH question

When you say 'SSH', do you mean 'just SSH', or 'SSH, SSL, IPsec and anything else which the shaping box cant determine what sort of traffic it is'?

As far as I'm aware SSH is in the silver queue. To this date since the introduction of the gold/silver/bronze service we have never dropped any silver traffic.

As far as you are aware? Please could you check this and give a concrete answer?

Thanks