cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM settings

bigbry
Dabbler

SPAM settings

I am new to ADSL and Plus.net and in the process of making sure my email application is set up to suit ADSL rather than the phone connection I was using before.

One of the things I have noticed is that when I am sending mails from my yahoo account via Outlook 2003 to my plus mail accounts is that they are rejected due to my mails not having a Message-ID. I went to add one in Outlook and it opened up a new world of applying for an id to use for my mails. Before I venture in to this I wondered if anyone had any further information e.g. should I just lower my spam setting in plus mail settings or should I get an message-ID for each of my and my families mail accounts.

Thanks for any assistance in advance it will be much appreciated.

Cheers Bryan
10 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

SPAM settings

The server is set to reject messages for all users that don't have a message-id to try and curb the mydoom virus email so your SPAM settings won't affect that.
bigbry
Dabbler

SPAM settings

Cheers pal - my first ever post to this forum and responded to in minutes. Is this now a permanent arrangement or will it be relaxed once mydoom is dealt with. Based on the fact I don't have a message ID I would imagine the standard user doesn't. Is this not going to cause problems with people trying to send legitimate mails.
N/A

SPAM settings

By the sounds of things, you are confusing Exncryptions keys and Message ID's.

A message ID is small text item included in the the headers of e-mails. An example is

Message-Id: <E1Amstk-0006gI-00@cadmium.webfusion.co.uk>

This can be used to track specific information about the path of an e-mail in the setup of a mail server. To the standard user, it means nothing, but to server administrators, it is the key to locateing entried in log files.

From what you describe, you are thinking of purchasing a Digital ID. This is wrong. These are only used where high a trust relationship is involved, IE, a message to yout bank manager to transfer all you money to some stranger. It verifies you identity.

Can I ask how you are sending message from your Yahoo account using Outlook?

What server have you setup to relay your messages?

Message ID's are not exactly free, they are just part of the way e-mail works. Digital ID's are expensive and sound precicly what you don't want
bigbry
Dabbler

SPAM settings

I am using Outlook 2003 with standard pop/smtp accounts for Yahoo, Plus and other accounts.

Earlier I was trying to send a mail account from my yahoo account to my plus account to check my email notification sound was playing ok and I receieved the below which includes details of my sent mail.

If there are any settings you would like me to look up in particular I will be happy to supply them as I would really appreciate your help.

Cheers, Bryan.

===================================================
Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<bryan@haleweb.plus.com>:
212.159.11.36 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-RFC2822 says you should have a Message-ID.
550 Most messages without it are spam, so your mail has been rejected.

--- Original message follows.

Return-Path: <bryan_hale@yahoo.co.uk>

The original message is over 5k. Message truncated to 1K.

Received: from unknown (HELO Hale) (bryan?hale@80.229.9.104 with login)
by smtp005.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with SMTP; 31 Jan 2004 16:09:45 -0000
To: <bryan@haleweb.plus.com>
Subject: RE: mail sound test
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:09:43 -0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016_01C3E814.A3A84610"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
Thread-Index: AcPoD4tPZTp1AZgAR728jt4C3KMxhwABOsng
In-Reply-To:
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C3E814.A3A84610
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
jberry
Grafter

SPAM settings

Hi there,

Mail messages should all have a message ID, if they do not then they violate RFC2822. The addition of this has dramatically cut the number of infected mails actually being passed on. Did you send this through our SMTP server or Yahoo's? If it was yahoo then you should get in touch with them and ask them why the message ID is not there.

Regards,
bigbry
Dabbler

SPAM settings

I used Yahoos SMTP server to send the mail. I will have to email their support.

Many thanks

Bryan
bigbry
Dabbler

SPAM settings

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any help or settings on message-ids on Yahoos web site and as a free email provider they don't seem to offer any 'contact us' options.

One thing that concerns me - why is it only my plus account that rejects my yahoo mail. Friends mails and my work email do not reject what I send.

I had a look at the RFC2822 document and this says (I copy and paste)...

"Though optional, every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field."

I feel a bit stuck. Though I am not really concerned as I still intend to use my yahoo mail as that is the address everyone has for me it is a bit annoying and I would like to understand what is going on.

Am I right in saying that anyone with with a Yahoo mail account (quite a popular mail provider) sending a mail to a plus address will have their mail rejected.

Many thanks, again in advance.

Bryan
N/A

SPAM settings

In the fight against Spam and Virii, certain measures are tried and/or implimented.
Plust net employed blocking some ports to stop the Blaster worm late last year and now the server is set to reject messages for all users that don't have a message-id to try and curb the mydoom virus. This is mainly due to the fact that mass mail posters are used to post virii, and these tend not to append message ID's.
Unfortunately, its a balance situation between security and ease of use.
Considering most spam comes from the 'free' accounts such as Yahoo, Hotmail, postmaster etc, it is not suprising that email from these sources is scrutinised.
I know some people ,and most companies, who have email filters set up to dump all emails from these sources.

So, do as most people do and use the 'free' mail providers as your spam dump.
Community Veteran

SPAM settings

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any help or settings on message-ids on Yahoos web site and as a free email provider they don't seem to offer any 'contact us' options.

As an educated guess, try sending a message to support@yahoo.co.uk asking why yahoo emails are not sent out with message IDs.

One thing that concerns me - why is it only my plus account that rejects my yahoo mail. Friends mails and my work email do not reject what I send.

Because PlusNet are now blocking ALL mail that does not contain a message ID to try are reduce the amount of spam being received. This is there short term solution to the recent MyDoom virus. See Announcement: Inbound Email server changes to reduce Virus

I feel a bit stuck. Though I am not really concerned as I still intend to use my yahoo mail as that is the address everyone has for me it is a bit annoying and I would like to understand what is going on.
see the above reply.

Am I right in saying that anyone with with a Yahoo mail account (quite a popular mail provider) sending a mail to a plus address will have their mail rejected.

Yes if they are all being sent without a message ID.

This is an issue for Yahoo to solve, While plusnet could remove the block, it is really up to Yahoo to sort this out because it is unsual not to include a message ID in emails.
bigbry
Dabbler

SPAM settings

Ok thanks for your help. Believe me I have not got a problem with the action Plus have taken and in fact am full of admiration for their attitude against spand and virus' and protecting their customers. I am just frustrated with Yahoo and always keen to understand how all this stuff works.

I am probably being lazy by not wanting to change my main mail account in the same way as you do with trying to keep the same mobile number. I also like having a mail address that doesn't depend on my current provider - however now I am on broadband and with Plus for at least 12 months and probably more may be its about time I start using the plus address.

I do like the way my work website filtering seems to stop you getting on to every single online mail site except it seems for Plus - may be another reason to change.

Cheers once again - this Forum beats anything I have ever seen before in terms of support what with all the Plus chaps popping in with a reply!

Bryan