Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM: Proposed Mailbox Changes

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi all,

I'm sure most of you reading this will have read or participated in a number of threads in this forum and elsewhere in the community on the topic of unsolicited email, and in particular the recent increase in the volumes of spam to customers' mailboxes.

There have been numerous suggestions and requests as to how we can improve things in this area and the customer support centre have noticed a marked increase in the number of customers wanting to black hole their default mailboxes.

In addition to this, spam has a very large impact on our mail storage and delivery platforms. Too often this has helped contribute to problems we have seen with email delays and timeouts on the mail delivery and collection servers. Spam certainly isn't the sole cause of these issues but it hasn't been helping. We have recently increased the capacity of our mail storage platform and another post will be along shorlty detailing the specifics of this.

Anyway the purpose of this post is to give you a bit of an insight into some of the changes we're planning on making...

• Removal of ‘catch all’ option in sign-up.
  • Addition of ability to add aliases to the default mailbox.
  • Removal of ‘catch all’ option for existing customers.
  • Amendments to our Help & Support pages.
  • The scripting and automation of regular housekeeping tasks.
  • Functionality to add a 'catch-all' mailbox if required.
  • Non subscription accounts limited to 5 mailboxes/aliases.
  • Option to choose which mailbox to activate a ‘catch all’ address on by selecting from a drop down box.

We also aim to email existing customers allowing them the option to opt out and NOT have their ‘catch all‘ address removed.

Other potential improvements that have been suggested for future implementation are as follows. These aren't on the development stack just yet but will certainly be considered when the opportunity arises:-

• Mailbox quotas.
  • Option to delete spam before it is downloaded or alternatively move it to a 'spam' IMAP folder.
  • Implementation of SPF for all domains.
  • SMTP authentication.

It's early doors yet so we can't provide an estimated date for the completion of the initial phases of this project, however once rolled out it should hopefully make things a little better for customers and help reduce the volume of junk email that needs to be processed by the mail platform.

Feel free to discuss or raise any concerns or feedback in this thread. Further details will of course be announced nearer the time of implementation.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

180 REPLIES
N/A

Is SPF still going to be applied to domains where the user is hosting their own MX?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Bob,
Can you please explain this part of your announcement
Addition of ability to add aliases to the default mailbox.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: SPAM: Proposed Mailbox Changes

Existing customers will be emailed allowing them the option to opt out and NOT have their ‘catch all‘ address removed.

Many existing customer will opt out because they have used different prefixes for every website/forum they've signed up to.

If they sort all these out (e.g. start adding aliases for all of these), will they subsequently be able to have their catch all removed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Liam
Grafter

Bob,
Can you please explain this part of your announcement
Addition of ability to add aliases to the default mailbox.

Basically, this is where you have one mailbox. And you can attibute a number of aliases to it... and have the mail delivered to the one box. Kind of like setting up a mailbox, and then a load of redirects into that mailbox - but cleaner.
Liam
Grafter

Existing customers will be emailed allowing them the option to opt out and NOT have their ‘catch all‘ address removed.

Many existing customer will opt out because they have used different prefixes for every website/forum they've signed up to.

If they sort all these out (e.g. start adding aliases for all of these), will they subsequently be able to have their catch all removed?

Yes. You will be able to switch it on/off on the Portal as you see fit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In this case, what may be useful is the ability to have a catch-all mailbox, but it treated like a junk or trashcan kind-of folder (e.g. contents automatically deleted after 7 days).

My domain seems to get 50-70 spams a day to common aliases I never use (e.g. help@, accounting@ etc.). I still keep a catch-all with my hosting company, as I prefer to be able to go through the entire mailbox just in case some legitimate mail has arrived and been spelt incorrectly.

Never seems to happen though, so I end up normally trashing the entire contents of my catch-all Smiley But I think if we had the ability to use one with a deletion rule applied, it would benefit those who still want to double-check what has arrived and PlusNet in terms of storage.
Community Veteran

Will it mean 'by default' there wil be an automtic creation of the 'postmaster' mailbox and/or a redirect for 'postmaster' to the account used for the initial account sign-up?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is SPF still going to be applied to domains where the user is hosting their own MX?

Remember SPF isn't going to be rolled as part of the initial changes. It is something we would like to do for further stages. If we were to implement it then it would certainly make sense to allow for this.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Will it mean 'by default' there wil be an automtic creation of the 'postmaster' mailbox and/or a redirect for 'postmaster' to the account used for the initial account sign-up?

When you sign up the default mailbox will be given an alias. By default this is the forename you register with e.g. 'bob' although the new signup procedure allows you to review this and change it accordingly should you choose to.

In addition to this a second alias is created for your postmaster address that also points to the default mailbox.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

Remember SPF isn't going to be rolled as part of the initial changes. It is something we would like to do for further stages. If we were to implement it then it would certainly make sense to allow for this.

Kind Rgds,

Having re-read how SPF works and what it does - there is no reason from your point of view not to add it for users running their own MX for username.plus.com domains - since they will stil be punting mail back through your relays - however your relays *may* have to re-write the headers to look like they were the origionating host for mail FROM username.plus.com - TBH its not totally clear from the SPF site how well that will work otherwise.

I'm sure your tech heads will make better sence of it than me.
N/A

Non subscription accounts limited to 5 mailboxes/aliases.

So my other "free" dailup account will be limited to 5 mailboxes? what if I have more than 5 mailboxes? I don't get spam or send spam from the free dailup accounts, mainly use them to receive and send to different groups of people.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You could always change to dialup PAYG Premier - I don't think you can complain about value for money with the existing service and given how much you currently pay per month, I don't think you have grounds for complaining if they change the service.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Guess this will fall on deaf ears sinces I am using the free service for my email. As for paying £4.99 to use more than 5 mailboxes, I can find a much better deal which don't break every other day.

This is one of my main reasons for sticking with +net through their troubles (pain trying to contact people about change of email addresses). Maybe IT IS really time to find a greener pasture
Walrus
Grafter

This is great news. The primary issue is the enforced catchall on the 'postmaster' aka <username> account, and then PlusNet stipulating that postmaster must be collected.

All the new spam I've been recieving recently are 'fake bounces', the spam being the 'attached message'.

I'm looking forward to the changes.