cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR fluctuating

N/A

SNR fluctuating

How much should the SNR margin fluctuate because mine is going all over the place, the highest i have seen it is 18.5, but it was as low as 2 yesterday when i was having disconnections problems. 5 minutes ago it was 14 and now its 11, is there anything i can do to improve this because with Max Adsl cannot see my line coping with higher speeds unless the SNR stays about 18.5 or higher
21 REPLIES
N/A

SNR fluctuating

The higher the better for SNR. Ideally I think you're meant to have above about 6dB (with MAXdsl lines trying to get the most stable connection at the highest sync speed they can by trying get as low down to 6dB as they need to).

So, when does it fluctuate? Certain times of the day? Do you have lights on/off, other electrical equipment being operated? Heating?
N/A

SNR fluctuating

during the day normally (first thing), no lights on, at night it seems to be alot more stable, but more drastic in the evening
Alecto
Grafter

SNR fluctuating

Doesn't sound good. The SNR may vary a bit, but shouldn't fluctuate like that.
Could be anything from mice in the ducting to water in a connector, and I suspect all of the causes will be outside your control.
Is your voice line OK? Getting BT to sort out your voice line may solve this kind of thing.
N/A

SNR fluctuating

voice is okay most of the time, but sometimes it their can be alot of background noise on the line. Have done fault tests on the line but they always come back as normal, it's got worse just now, gone to 5.5, line still stable though atm
James
Grafter

SNR fluctuating

Hi Paza02,

I'd recommend trying a couple of things. Obviously a fluctuating SNR is not a good thing.

- Try using a different microfilter to ensure that the one you are using is not partially faulty.
- Try unscrewing the faceplate from your master socket, and inserting the filter into the test socket on the bottom half.

This will eliminate any potential wiring or filter problems, which can often be the cause.
N/A

SNR fluctuating

did another line, test, got the usual, it told me it would disconnect me from my broadband and took me 40 - 50 minutes to get back on, had my username and password being rejected. I haven't got a microfilter, Mine phone socket is already spilt into 2 (data and voice) so shall I unscrew that.

Is plus net support 0845 1400 200, couldn't get through on that number in the last 40 - 50 minutes
N/A

SNR fluctuating

unscrewed the front, had to put the broadband through a microfilter though as their is only a telephone socket and the SNR has gone upto 18.5, i will keep an eye on it, not an expert but the wiring doesn't look too good
N/A

SNR fluctuating

heres the pics
faceplate
after removing the face plate
close up of wires

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Images converted links as thay are too large for a page.
N/A

SNR fluctuating

put the faceplate back on and the snr is at 19, i'll keep my wan log open to keep an eye on it, been pretty consistent since the phone line test funny enough.
N/A

SNR fluctuating

started to drop now, gone to 9.5, must be something to do with everyone getting home maybe
itchyfeet
Grafter

I've got the same problem

Hi Paza02,

It sounds like you've got the same problem as me, and there is another chap who is on F9 who has reported the same problem here, so we are not alone:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411

I get frequent disconnections in the evening (between about 5 and 9pm) due to a fluctuating SNR. If you raise it as a fault, Plus.net will arrange for BT to send an engineer out. However, in my experience, the engineer will come out during the day when the connection is fine and say that he can't find a problem.

I hope you have better luck than me. I've had a ticket raised since December, but no-one has managed to fix the fault yet.

Brian
N/A

SNR fluctuating

wasn't too bad, it only dropped once last night, went down to a low SNR and then came back to a high SNR, i wish they would give put the f9 and plus net forums together, could be very useful
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

SNR fluctuating

i wish they would give put the f9 and plus net forums together, could be very useful

There's a fundamental problem with this. Your username is your forum name, some user names are duplicated between f9, free-online and Plusnet...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

SNR fluctuating

could they not put pn in front of our username for plusnet, f9 in front for f9, ect