cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP unable to deliver to AOL

N/A

I have an SMTP server that I use so that I can send mail when not dialed in to Plusnet - (but I don't want mail delivered to it only through it), but I can't seem to send to AOL users, AOL seem to refuse the mail service. I have done a bit of digging and it seems that they will reject mail if the server isn't using an mx record. If I put an MX record in, will it then mean that all my mail goes to my SMTP server? I don't really want this to happen, but obviously, I'd like to be able to deliver mail to the people who are using AOL. If I need to put an MX record in, what should it point from/to.
If anyone can help that would be great. I'm not very up on DNS.

cheers

-AJ :?:
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

AOL have recently blocked all e-mail originating from our dial-up and ADSL IP address ranges therefore if you are running your own mail server you will not be able to send to AOL addresses. The way around this is to setup a rule on your mail server so that any mail sent to *@aol.com is routed via relay.plus.net which will then deliver the mail. There is little we can do about AOL blocking mail from certain sources unfortunately, I believe they apply this policy in accepting mail to several ISPs.
N/A

Many thanks. I guess that's just one more reason why I'll never use AOL. I thought it must be fairly recent, as it used to work.
Now to work out how to do a mail rule on postfix :-)

thanks

-AJ
N/A

You may not be able to control AOL, but they have done this for a reason. Why? Are some unscrupulous PlusNet customers spamming? If so - boot them off for the sake of everyone else.
N/A

+Net can't and wont do a thing unless AOL submit an abuse report to them.

There is no way to track somthing that you can't see.
N/A

>There is no way to track somthing that you can't see.

It's also quite possible that it was not a knowing spamming, the sad fact is that many people just install their SMTP server without securing or patching it, or install it in such a way that it becomes an open relay.
This means that spammers can use it to send through, without ever the user intending it. It's really not something that +Net could be blamed for in any way.

-AJ
N/A

+Net actualy perform open relay checking.

I don't know how often it is performed, and what action is taken against those found.

The fact remains, AOL are under no obligation to unblock this, as the method they use is a perfectly valid anti-spam configuration.
N/A

>The fact remains, AOL are under no obligation to unblock this, as the >method they use is a perfectly valid anti-spam configuration.

Agreed. Actually, it's probably a good idea to block any SMTP server that doesn't reverse lookup to a valid MX record - probably less that they block all +NET addresses. Still, it's working fine now, I created a transport table that forwards all AOL mail through relay.plus.net Smiley

-AJ