cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP setup

rslsys
Grafter

SMTP setup

I want to set up a client to receive SMTP mail from their username.plus.com account. The method is obvious under domain settings when a user has an added domain but there appears to no way for a user to do this with the default username. Am I missing something? I have raised a ticket on the client's account but CS are insisting that this can be done via the Domain names option.

Cheers
12 REPLIES
N/A

SMTP setup

rslsys,

Hi there, I dont think I have gotten the jist of what you are trying to achieve. But from what you have outlined it sounds to me as if you are wanting to set someone up with a mail server ( evidence leading to this assumption are as follows );

The method is obvious under domain settings when a user has an added domain

Or are you trying to use something like Outlook or Thunderbird to retrieve emails from the Plusnet mail servers?

As I am sure you can appreciate there is a massive difference between the two.
rslsys
Grafter

SMTP setup

Client has SBS2003. Mail pickup frequency can only be set to 15 minutes minimum on SBS.

I have other clients with PlusNet who have included (additional) domains (e.g. username.co.uk) in addition to their default of username.plus.com.

With included domains it is easy to set up SMTP pickup via the Domain Names option on the Plus Net menu.

If a user does not have an included domain, there is no option to setup SMTP pickup for the username.plus.com domain.

CS insist that this option is there but despite a couple of hours looking, I can't find it. Hence the question.
N/A

SMTP setup

Hmm,

Sounds as though your wanting to use a mail server but pick the emails up from user@username.plus.com for example.

You can do this but it would require the use of a POP3 pickup. I am unaware of being able to have emails delivered to your mailserver as apposed to the plusnet one if you are using the default plusnet email address.
rslsys
Grafter

SMTP setup

No

Its a requirement to have all mail to username@username.plus.com forwarded to a fixed IP address via SMTP.

This is perfectly possible if Plusnet host additional domains on an account.

CS have not said it cannot be done for username@username.plus.com just that the option to do it for username@username.plus.com is available via the Domain Names menu, which it is not.
N/A

SMTP setup

It's easy to set up if you have a domain hosted by PN but not sure how to do it if you haven't.

If you go to set up a mailbox you will see this in the instructions

Features & Benefits
There's no limit to the amount of email addresses you can have with PlusNet. Create as many mailboxes as you want, each with their individual password, so everyone in your family or office can communicate with confidence and ease.

Complete control over all your email communication with PlusNet, including unlimited addresses, mail redirects

Create as many addresses as you need - one for home, work, each member of your family, whatever you choose

Change mail delivery options between POP3 and SMTP for instant email delivery

Receive your PlusNet emails at any address by adding an email redirect

But can't see where you can select SMTP!!!!!!
N/A

man.

If they are using sbs2003 can't they can stretch to uy domain name.

or

try this

its a pop3 to exchange thingy tools and its free you could kick this off each minute via a scheduled task

http://ornic.com/old/exchange/poproute.shtml
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

SMTP setup

Easy:

Go to My Account, Email Settings, Configure Mailboxes.

Scroll down to the bottom of that page - there you will find a button labelled SMTP. The page that takes you to has all the information on setting it up.

You don't need to go anywhere near domain or DNS settings - it will do all that is required.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

SMTP setup

Thanks elvin

That is exactly what I was looking for.
Why can't CS offer step-by-step answers for those of us suffering temporary blonde-ness?

Cheers
N/A

SMTP setup

Went to the opticians on Friday, think I should ask for my money back. Saw all the other options/buttons but not the important one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

SMTP setup

Configure Mailboxes is not where I would expect to see that option - I would have expected it to have it's own icon in Email Settings. I knew where to find it because I had been there before.

So I wouldn't blame blondeness or the opticians...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
richpu
Dabbler

SMTP setup

Hi,

did you get the SMTP set up working?

I have SMTP setup and running fine on my SBS2003 setup
let me know if you need any help

regards,
RichPu
N/A

SMTP setup

Hi,

Off topic - but I really need some help in moving from the POP3 connector to SMTP from incoming E-Mails so I can use IMF.

Thanks