Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP isn't working...

deepfatfrier
Grafter

SMTP isn't working...

But webmail is.
The SMTP server (relay.force9.net) seems to be denying access even when i'm putting in my own username and password. Any word on this? (a CS reply would be helpful...)

Cheers
5 REPLIES
N/A

SMTP isn't working...

i've just collected my mail without problems

r u running your own server?

regards
mike
N/A

SMTP isn't working...

I'm sending and receiving mail ok.

Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick or stating the obvious but:.....

I assume you mean mail.force9.net and not relay.force9.net.
relay.force9.net is the smtp server for sending mail which is a difference machine to the mail.force9.net for incomming mail.

relay.force9.net shouldn't need a password or username as authenticated email sending is not supported or necessary on f9. Has the mail client got the "use authenticated smtp" turned on when it should not be on. As no login is needed for SMTP email sending.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

SMTP isn't working...

Hi,

relay.force9.net doesn't need the authentication option turned on, in fact if you have enabled it, it will give an error sending mail.

I think Thunderbird enables this by default, if that's the client you are using, as tswilding says, disable the authentication option and try it again.
N/A

SMTP isn't working...

The relay is definetly working you can manually telnet into the server okay. Using "telnet relay.force9.net 25"
deepfatfrier
Grafter

SMTP isn't working...

Right, my problem then. So, no authentication needed at all. I'll pass the message on to my friend, and hopefully then it'll work!

Cheers for the replies, everyone (and let's all pray for more bad light and rain in the cricket!!)