cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW 2Mb

N/A

SLOW 2Mb

Hi just got the 2Mb upgrade - well almost got it. My modem shows 2272Kbps but using the PN speedtest I get 1242Kbps and using ADSLguide's speedtest I get 1470Kbps. Where's the rest of it? 1840Kbps is supposed to be about right. Can I have the rest, please?
5 REPLIES
N/A

SLOW 2Mb

It seems that many bt exchanges are coming under strain from all the 2Mb connections.

BT PUMP MORE BANDWIDTH INTO EM! :roll:
N/A

SLOW 2Mb

You could be right, Louis. My speed though has now picked up and is in the 1840+Kbps area which is okay. I just hope it stays there. I agree, BT does need a wake-up call on bandwidth.
N/A

SLOW 2Mb

Maybe BT will increase bandwidth in some places... but they have covered their backsides by making the contention ratio 50:1, so they don't actually have to. Sad

No use changing ISPs, unless you are in the LLU areas.

You could attack all your neighbour's phone lines :shock: Wink
N/A

SLOW 2Mb

I'm having similar issues. I've only been with Plusnet for just over three months and found initially that my speed was relatively constant. Now it wanders all over the place, sometimes lower than 400k on my 2 meg line and yet other times it's over 1900k.

I've checked the user guide to my exchange which shows as green (although it was showing red a short while ago. It also says the exchange is due to be upgraded in June for users to all have the 2meg connection (I paid to jump queue).

SamKnows is still showing it as red and indicated that work was scheduled for the end of May.

I don't really understand what exactly BT does when it upgrades the speed of everyone at the exchange. Am I right in assuming that it will increase capacity/bandwidth at this time or will it just be a case that everyone will get up to 2meg speed but in reality we'll all be stuck at lower speeds due to contention?
LiamM
Grafter

SLOW 2Mb

Fortunately I don't notice many problems through my exchange. Though apparently we have tons of capacity for a rural exchange (according to the engineer who fitted my new line).