cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY by Broadband Question

N/A

Hi,

Ok, from past experience, I've found you get a straight answer posting in the forum rather than submitting a ticket to CSS. That's not a jab at the CSS, it's just that the crop of info agents are better here.

I've just been informed by SKY that the new Sky by broadband has now been launched. Am on premier 2mb, paying £21.99 p/m and dl about 25gig a month at the moment.

My question is when i sign up for Sky by Broadband will this type of account am on now be in line with the FUP or should I look else where for my BB provider?

Thanks,
Marcus
5 REPLIES
lank111
Grafter

To test Broadband TV a 1Mbit connection is advised!

http://player.narrowstep.tv/default.aspx?player=blueyonder

But i think Sky by Broadband use's P2P transfer its videos!
This just won't work on the new managment system,
Community Veteran

I am confident that when the management system is automated and is able to identify individual programs then things like BBC IMP (which is a must for me as we all pay lots of money to the BBC!) and Sky By broadband and general TV over internet will all be able to work properly and effectivly
N/A

I'm waiting till those services reach TV quality. (I cant join iMP yet anyway though).

FUP has been abandoned. SUP and traffic mangagement are the current hoops. You should make yourself aware which processes you need to kill in order to stop the system working during the day and only let these run overnight, midnight till 8am and everything will be fine.

Otherwise even if you are not downloading, your bandwdith is still being used by the program, which I bilieve is confugured to start whent he computer does. (I dont think this applied to iMP unless you tell it to, but it does to Sky by Broadband according to other reports).

If you sign up, let us know how it goes.
lank111
Grafter

From a customer announcement:
8Mb speeds are almost here and applications such as iTunes, Video on Demand and media services such as Sky By Broadband are all taking off.

What does this mean? Well, it means that the old style of network management doesn’t work anymore. ISPs have typically taken no notice of what traffic is passing through their network - they have simply hooked up more capacity to deal with increasing demand. This has been possible previously due to significant annual reductions in the cost of purchasing capacity from BT Wholesale.

This approach to network management does not work when someone in the home is downloading high definition video, someone else is making a phone call using VoIP and someone else is browsing their favourite websites. Their service would simply grind to a halt. ISPs instead need to prioritise certain traffic to ensure no drop in quality for time-sensitive applications.

Over the past 12 months we have been developing our network management capabilities to deal with this ever changing challenge. We recognise that some customers have inadvertently seen the adverse effects of us developing these capabilities and for that we apologise.
N/A

To test Broadband TV a 1Mbit connection is advised!

http://player.narrowstep.tv/default.aspx?player=blueyonder

That's suprisingly good - some of the channels aren't all that much interest (one of them seems like the sort of rubbish you get on community tv channels on local cable networks and in the channels no one watches on Sky) but some of them seem ok - the music one for example seems pretty much up to date and what you'd find on the main music channels on tv, just with no dog in the corner of the screen.

It also looks pretty good "full screen" even at much larger res than a normal TV picture (I'm viewing at 1280x1024 on a 17" TFT) which has always been the thing that hasn't made streaming video appeal very much - people always seem to say "i don't want to watch it on a pc monitor" presumably because they think it'll have to be in a small window, but if it's full screen you can sit away from the PC and watch it, or (possibly even better) stream it to your TV/use tv out.

Not too impressed with scrolling through the schedule though, it seems far too clunky and slow, but other than that pretty impressive. I've seen a few other services which seem to be trying to fill the gap in high speed broadband content, and some aren't all that but some others seem to be getting the idea - I guess the problem you'll have with a service like this being "popular" is that until it's got the mainstream content on it (neighbours, eastenders, coronation street, big brother, news, premiership football, f1, wimbeldon, lost, shameless, etc...) it's only going to be a niche thing - how many people are really going to bother tuning in to watch it if all that is available is a handful of music videos which you can get elsewhere, and what appears to be repeats of old tv shows (isn't that paintball show on the Blueyounder TV an old ITV show from 5+ years ago?) or stuff that you'd not watch even if it was new (the second channel on the Blueyounder TV being an example of such content - couldn't see anything that interested me... although obviously it might appeal to someone, maybe?)

Is PlusNet going to do some sort of Plus TV service? I can see some sort of "content portal" might be a good selling point in the future, especially with higher speed broadband, it'd also be a possible way to bring in extra revenue (advertising on the player, ads between programs, ads around the portal in general) and fills the gap which other ISP's seem to be trying to fill and possibly leaving PN behind by not doing so? I was looking at some of the portals listed on the ISPA Awards news story on adslguide yesterday, simply to see what they were offering to make them the best 5 (best as in they've been picked where as others haven't - can't quite see how some have been picked... does tesco really have a portal? i thought it was just their online shop really?! ukonline's is quite a nice portal for content, but is there any streaming? not that I can see - doesn't really seem to take advantage of the high speed broadband that they're selling to people, so seems to miss the point a bit) would be nice to see PN do some sort of portal aimed at higher speed users...