Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY Broadband Announcement

N/A

Has anyone seen the following:

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/10/104016/PR18072006.pdf

And what do you think?

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Duplicate post removed, BB code removed from title as it doesnt work there and all caps removed]
81 REPLIES
N/A

personally i am just trying to find the right provider before i leave this joke of a company....Sky may be a good idea as my Internet Payment then becomes my Sky payment so i save money but obviously there are other things to take into account....I'll wait a little to see, right now i am looking at Nildram but not requested MAC code...see what happens
N/A

jesus those prices look good.

But it's still ADSL at the end of the day - so jumping ship is pointless
N/A

but you may get a working email service
N/A

any sort of working service would suit me ..... if only Plusnet would give me a MAC key!!!!!
N/A

1. My service works
2. I have never, ever, ever, relied on my ISP (whichever it is) for e-mail.
N/A

2. I have never, ever, ever, relied on my ISP (whichever it is) for e-mail.

Very sensible in my opinion all my Plusnet email does for me is attract spam so if it ever goes down it is not a problem at all; in fact all it means to me is that it saves me wearing out my delete button...... important stuff I have a separate third party email account for.What does suprise though me is the number of people who seem to entrust important business emails to what is basically a bargain basement ISP.But I am with you on that: nothing that is important email wise goes anywhere near Plusnet's mail servers as far as I am concerned.
N/A

Yup I signed up on their website for further information and was told that it's not available in my area until December. However I'll get the same speed and more bandwdith allowance and in total will save £17 a month.
tcs2000
Grafter

Sky have really put a spanner in the broadband works with this offer.
It's up to Plusnet to pull their finger out...get their act together...reduce their package prices...or else they'll have people leaving in droves.
N/A

Was only a matter of time, SKY owns easynet so has solid foundations to offer both adslmax and also LLU based services.

This is great news.
N/A

whatever happened to OFCOM's competition rules :roll:

Personally I think Sky makes enough money on their outrageous subscription pricing - even before forcing adverts on you. Sorry Mr Murdoch, I will be keeping my telephone line away from you thanks very much.

(By the way not being funny - but does this really belong in community support?)
N/A

Well i pay £35 odd for sky per month and £25 odd to Plusnet, so about £60 PM

if i just pay sky for an internet service 8 times faster than plusnet AND the existing Sky package i already have i am looking at £45

So if that is the case there is no argument really.
N/A

This enables greater competition, either have one selected package or use multiple providers. Does it belong in this forum, well its better then the constant screaming that is aimed at PN.

The question should be, are PN and similar ISP's going to be worried? I would say dam right and they should be.
Community Veteran

It's up to Plusnet to pull their finger out...get their act together...reduce their package prices...or else they'll have people leaving in droves.

If a company competes on cost alone, the end is nigh. A company can charge more for something if it has the same basic function, but is somehow higher quality. Alternatively they could offer something that is of value to the consumer but costs PN very little to support. For example, PN provide webspace, but it is little/poorly used, if PN could provide the means to simply photo/video sharing by the webspace would be goog for many people. Then link it somehow to an online photo service like photobox. PlusTalk could also be made into a much broader service, e.g. SIP addresses for each person in a household.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Yes i have to agree it is very tempting. However, I do not have sky as there is too much rubbish on it to justify it!

It appears a good deal, but if the service is rubbish, and you are dumped on LLU - how do you migrate back easily? Somehow, I believe sky will care even less than plusnet do for their customers!

Murdoch is a greed merchant - not in the same league as bill Gates but he will try mightily!

I am leaving plus net, but if they get back to what they were then I would gratefully return. LLU is frightening unless you live in a richly veined area such as London. However, if Sky sort the 16Mb service out, then it may be a good deal. I just do not like giving good money to somebody like Murdoch.