cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHould I upgrade to 'Up to 8mb' now?, I just want it stable

suec45
Grafter

GHi guys, I never upgraded to 'up to 8mb' as there were a lot of problems it seemed, and I just want a stable connection more than a super fast one.

The exchange is barely 20 metres from my house (BT bought the land off my Grandad) Not sure if this would make a difference.

I am in a village of about 1000 people, the exchange has always been green so far.

My question is, should I raise a ticket to be put on 8mb 'because I may as well', or should I stay on 2mb along with my stable connection which is usually pretty good.

I am worried that I will get it changed to MaxDSL and it will go all screwy. Are the problems basically gone?

Thanks
17 REPLIES
James
Grafter

I'd be really surprised if you had any issue based on the locality of your exchange!

It's an awful lot better than it used to be. Sure, there are still the occasional problems, but they happen on the fixed rate products too.

I'd say give it a go Smiley
suec45
Grafter

Thanks James Smiley,

I have a ticket open at the moment asking for EVE online to be added to the Game list, I will wait for this to be done and then raise another ticket rather than having more than one open at a time
James
Grafter

No worries.

If you want an upgrade done, I can get it done for you in about 5 minutes - just say the word.
suec45
Grafter

If you can, then please do it. But dont worry about it until oyu have a spare minute, I am in no rush.

I am assuming it can be done of course, we were very late getting ADSL here, but I think it can be upgraded now.

Smiley
James
Grafter

And done.

The order should complete in the early hours of tomorrow. For best results it might be an idea to turn off your router before you go to bed tonight.
suec45
Grafter

THanks James Smiley
Zathras
Grafter

Other than being able to download more what are the other benefits of upto8mbps?
James
Grafter

Higher upload speeds.
Zathras
Grafter

Hehe smarty pants Cheesy

Ok ,other than higher download/upload speeds what are the benefits (this is beginning to sound like a monty python sketch)
James
Grafter

Nothing off the top of my head. I thought that the fundamental point of the product was to offer faster speed, both up and down.
Zathras
Grafter

Yeah but now we're in the days of restricting/capping etc(not just PN) it seems no more than a gimmick/marketing tool.
Im not having a go at anyone just musing on the 8mbs subject Cheesy
To me it just seems to mean getting to limits quicker.
Course if BT would drop prices significantly it would be a different story Cheesy
James
Grafter

It wasn't really designed to allow people to download the internet, but to improve bursty traffic like HTTP. Which I'm fairly confident it has done.
Zathras
Grafter

Ive not found any bursty http that needs more than 1.5mbps(thats only youtube tho).....yet Smiley
James
Grafter

I've definitely noticed an improvement in web browsing performance since I've been upgraded. I remember going back to my parents and wondering why their connection seemed rather slow.

So I upgraded them sharpish Smiley