Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDSL Queries

Robtheplod
Grafter

SDSL Queries

Hello
We are interested in SDSL services. I've checked and it's available at our exchange. I have few questions...

1. Our offices are one two sites next door to each other. we have adsl at one office, but if we went to SDSL would like this to be in the other office (discontinuing ADSL). Does this pose any specific problems with upgrading ??

2. With SDSL do you pay a BT line rental on the line or is it just the plusnet subscription ?

3. I'm having difficulty finding any SDSL Routers - can anyone recommend any good ones (dont need a firewall as we have a Firebox).

many thanks!!!
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

SDSL Queries

Hi,

SDSL is provided on a dedicated phone line (this is installed by BT Wholesale on activation day) so you can choose where you want the line installing. It wouldn't be installed on your existing ADSL line.

There's no line rental on the line, as you can't use the new SDSL line for voice, only for SDSL.

As for hardware, I don't know what our existing customers have chosen as I haven't been that involved with SDSL, maybe someone else can give you a recommendation.
Robtheplod
Grafter

SDSL Queries

cheers Dave

What is Plusnets contention with SDSL as I read some are 1:1 and some are 10:1

Do I understand correctly that nothing is paid to BT in relation to SDSL by the end user (ie no line install costs and no ongoing rental) - it's all paid via the plusnet account ? (£500 + monthly rental)

cheers

rob
LiamM
Grafter

SDSL Queries

That is correct.

Mind if I ask why you want to take the SDSL route?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

SDSL Queries

It's contended at 10:1. The only costs are paid to us - the install fee and monthly rental (excluding any SDSL hardware).
Robtheplod
Grafter

SDSL Queries

reason being is VPN which will be investing heavily in..

rob
N/A

SDSL Queries

I only know of 1 SDSL router supplied in the UK, though there are likely a lot more

it is supplied by Solwise, which i don't have the most trust in.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/sdsl-router.htm

There is also the option of the likes of a Cisco device, such as the 828g
benoh
Grafter

SDSL Queries

Cisco 837 hooks straight upto an SDSL line in the UK.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/ps4874/

Ben
N/A

SDSL Queries

i have an 837, great router (use it for ADSL) but yea never had a fault with it Smiley
N/A

SDSL Queries

Does anyone know if there are ANY plans to extend the reach of SDSL? We'd kill to get a 2mb SDSL connection but are just too far away from the exchange to support 2mb.
N/A

SDSL Queries

Unfortunatly not.

Unlike ADSL, BT perform a lot of manual tests as part of the site survey.

SDSL is extremely sensative to distance compared to ADSL.
N/A

SDSL Queries

@Acarr - I agree - the best ADSL I can get is 1Mbs, whilst the best SDSL is 512k.

@Robert90 - Depending how many users you would have using remote access at any one time, and depending on how you choose to access the VPN an ADSL line could suffice for many situations.
For example running a 5 Citrix or Terminal Services sessions would in many cases provide a more than acceptable speed, whereas 5 Client/Server sessions running bandwidth intensive applications (eg MRP/ERP/CRM type solutions, or indeed any type of database program where forms are stored on the server) would most likely produce pretty poor results. I have also had pretty poor results attempting to run Network DOS based programs via Client/Server architecture.
If Terminal Services and Citrix aren't really your bag, you could consider using proprietary remote control software to control a session on a machine at head office - the obvious downside being the need for a machine at work to run the session, and a machine remotely to access and control it - fine if you are lucky and have a desktop machine at work as well as laptop to access remotely Wink but an expensive solution otherwise.

It all depends on your set-up and requirements really....