cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDSL - Opinions needed.

N/A

SDSL - Opinions needed.

I need to purchase a 2MB SDSL line for our company and I was after some feedback from customers currently using the PlusNet SDSL service. The pro’s and cons of the service mainly.
I was thinking of going with BT at a cost of about £4500pa but notice that PlusNet works out considerably cheaper.
Both PlusNet and BT have a contention of 10:1 from what I’ve read.
Although the cost is not really an issue, although it would be good to save to company a few pounds, the quality of service is as it will be used for IPSEC VPN tunnels to our area offices and about 50 odd home workers using a PPTP VPN connection. I cannot afford any loss of service.
3 REPLIES
craign
Grafter

SDSL - Opinions needed.

No experience of PN's SDSL, but a comment on your last sentence.

I cannot afford any loss of service.

IMHO, I'd suggest you do have a plan for a loss of service. Maybe an option to relocate a server to a worker's home, or buying DRP or even primary hosting from a 3rd party. Many options at different costs, all depending on your particular circumstance, but make sure it's a plan that's owned by the business - not IT.

A second diverse network route into your company can be difficult to achieve. It has to take into account for example, physical route into your building, lan failover method to backup WAN, wider WAN routing issues (ie no point in buying a 2nd ISP service if they end up in the same exchange as your primary provider). Even silly things like making sure the ISP bill is paid on time. :-)

Risk assess your local area, bearing in mind events like Buncefield. None of this needs to cost anything, apart from some time spent thinking 'what if?'.
N/A

SDSL - Opinions needed.

Will a 2Mb SDSL link be enough for supporting upto 50 VPN sessions?
N/A

SDSL - Opinions needed.

The 50 odd users will only be conected when they do a send/receive in Outlook 2003. They will be working mainly offline.
Once the send/receive is complete, the PPTP VPN dial up connection disconnects automatically so I'm hoping that a 2MB SDSL line will be ok.