cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rx Error Rate - Should I be concerned?

N/A

Hi,

I recently posted a question relating to poor speed; http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54244 I said that I would borrow another router as this was the only remaining element that had not been replaced. Apart from confirming the error is elsewhere it has the following error stats. Can anybody say if this is normal, or a symptom of the slow speed? I'm due to have a BT visit, and would like to be armed with some knowledge. (I've Googled and searched the forums, but couldn't find anything conclusive).

Thanks,

Mark.

Transmit

Tx PDUs 14536
Tx Total Bytes 7973827
Tx Total Error Counts 0
Receive

Rx PDUs 15299
Rx Total Bytes 15042820
Rx Total Error Counts 469

Modem Status

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
Ds Rate (Kbps) 4736
US Margin 24
DS Margin 12
Trained Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 51
US Line Attenuation 27
Peak Cell Rate 1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 5
CRC Tx Interleaved 0
Path Mode Interleaved
DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

(Stats after being online for about 25 minutes of light use)
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What sort of router is it? It's tough to say with any certainty because I'm not 100% exactly what it's showing.

The line does show as interleaved which means that it can cope with a certain amount of errors. Interleaving is essentially a form of error correction so small amounts of corruption in the data can be corrected and can be perfectly normal and won't cause any problems at all (aside from the increase in ping time from having interleaving on).

Of course there's a point where interleaving can't correct the errors and it has to be retransmitted. A lot of these will cause speed problems.
N/A

Hi,

It's a eTEC ADSL2/2+ 125 Mbps Wireless router:

http://www.etec-components.co.uk/PT-845G.html

I estimated the error rate as 469/15299 * 100% ~ 3% (but it's a guess that this is the right way to calculate this).

Doesn't sound a lot but what this relates to in performance degradation, I don't know. - Is this something the BTO engineer should be conversant with?

Thanks,

Mark.
N/A

Hi,

The only other things I can add is that the first BTO engineer said the line capacitance was a bit high, but didn't seem concerned about it, and my line is borderline 3000 / 4000kbps switching between the two, but has very rarely (if at all) dropped / lost sync.

Thanks,

Mark.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

That was the way I was reading it as well, but wasn't 100% sure that it wasn't 469/15042820 ~ 0.003%. Which wouldn't cause any problems I wouldn't have thought whereas 3% is certainly high enough to cause problems especially if the errors are spikey rather than constant.

The capacitance and the borderline 3/4Mbps aren't really causes for concern. With that and this figure "DS Line Attenuation 51" it's a fairly long line so these wouldn't be unexpected. The sync speed and stability are pretty good considering.

I'd say something else was a factor here and the errors or a symptom of that.
N/A

Thanks for your comments.