cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a DNS server

N/A

Running a DNS server

In common with a lot of people, I started running a local DNS server a few months ago because of the unreliability of Plusnet's.

Having been looking at incoming packets with Wireshark I have discovered that DNS requests from my DNS server appear to be being classed as silver traffic. This explains a lot :roll:

I can also see that direct DNS requests to Plusnet's servers are classed as titanium.

Is there any particular reason why DNS requests from local servers are being given low priority, and otherwise could it be made the same as standard DNS traffic please?

Of course running a local server will cause more traffic when looking up a name, however that will more than be made up for by the longer local caching.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Running a DNS server

Maybe I do not understand, but where on the network is your 'local DNS' actuall located? Is it on your side of your ADSL connection or is it hosted somewhere else outside your network or the PN network?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Running a DNS server

The local DNS server is located on my PC, and is accessible by other machines on my home network.
N/A

Running a DNS server

Of course when I have been talking about 'requests' being classed as silver or titanium traffic, I actually mean the replies to such requests.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Running a DNS server

Hi,

I run my own DNS server and can't say I've noticed any problems, but haven't looked if the traffic is in silver. I've flagged this up to the network guys and will get back to you.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Running a DNS server

Hi,

I've checked with the network guys and they say it should be in titanium regardless of whether you are running local DNS or our DNS servers. Could you check it again please, and if it's still showing as silver can you raise a ticket with the packet captures and we can take a look?
N/A

Running a DNS server

Definitely in silver, I'll raise a ticket in a minute.
pawhe955
Grafter

Running a DNS server

@ chiara - I have a horrible feeling that this is a stupid question Shockedops: - but I'm curious to know what you are seeing via WireShark that identifies to you that your DNS response (once you have already received it and it's on your network) is classified as Silver Traffic whilst it traverses across PlusNet's network.... (are PlusNet setting DSCP bits or something? If so, is there a list of DSCP values for each traffic type, published somewhere?)

Thanks,
N/A

Running a DNS server

Not in the slightest a stupid question. There have been a few posts giving values but someone put this up as a summary:

http://www.heenan.me.uk/traffic-priority.html

Of course it would help if Plusnet could confirm the values and fill in the rest of the table Wink
N/A

Running a DNS server

I have been complaining about Plusnet DNS and nobody seems prepared to do anything.

So it is a bit ironic that clicking on your link gave me the typical DNS error I get from day to day with Plusnet.

It does not seem to matter what speed I have, this morning I was pleased when I got 5mb after putting up with 1.8mb for the last 6 months. Then later this pm it dropped to 480.

and they wonder why people are leaving in droves!