cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish speeds and still no explanation

Azagoth
Grafter

For the 5th day running the speeds on BB+ have dropped to unusable levels! It's got to the point where it's just taken about 30 seconds to open this page to post a message. Surfing the internet is the most basic of activities and yet Plusnet are not even allowing us to do that properly.

On the 1st Feb, you stated that there was a problem and you're looking into it and would update us the next day. Well, it's now the 5th Feb and you still haven't posted anything close to an explanation. So, I ask you this. Are you just giving us the run around because we're only BB+ users or is that you really are this incompetent and haven't got a clue as to what's happening on your network?

Sort it out! I pay for a service from you, and for the past 5 days you haven't provided that service.
27 REPLIES
swatty
Grafter

to be fair PN did post an update last night, see

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53352

Not that it says more than "we are still looking"

Simon
Azagoth
Grafter

That's not an update. All that does is refer back to the original status page from 1st Feb.

All I'm asking for is to be able to surf the internet and not wait 30secs or so for a page to open. That's not too much to ask of a broadband company is it?
swatty
Grafter

Snip - That's not too much to ask of a broadband company is it?

No Agree with everything you said, as I am in the same boat (though currently connected via 128Meg pipe at work at the moment Wink )

Simon
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Appreciate that it isn't an answer, but looking at your usage you would be better off on the Broadband PAYG product, and still pay a similar amount.

Broadband Plus will always get the poorest performace across our three main products in light of the way that they are prioritised in light of the fact that the £14.99 price tag only buys a small amount of bandwidth.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Logged on at 5PM, speeds sub 512K. After reading though the forums, decided to raise a fault, as more of a way of contacting Plus more than anything else, but did a BT speedtest around 5 mins ago, and got 3977kbps. Tried Speedtest.bbmax again, and got 3600. Still a little laggy but better. I wonder if things have been sorted, or is it just a blipHuh?
Azagoth
Grafter

I don't want to change my package, I'm quite happy where I am. Last week at this time of day I was getting well over 6000kbps yet this week it's down to this.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1170696124&v=645524

Clearly something is wrong with the network and needs fixing. Unless you've severely throttled BB+ to this ridiculously slow speed and not bothered informing anyone.
winnipeg1823
Grafter

is it worth raising a ticket?, I had this problem last week, better on Friday, now down to less than 100k. I know from reading post after post that lots of people are having the same problem, so will it be fixed or do we have to raise individual tickets. I dont want to go through all the speed tests etc, I know it will be Ok till about 4.30pm, then I lose speed for browsing, it not the wiring, filters etc cos its Ok prior to this time, unless of course my wiring and filters are only broken after 4.30pm, and mend themselves overnight
N/A

Clearly something is wrong with the network and needs fixing.

Obviously not clear enough for PN.
BB+ is not performing as advertised. Please bring it back up to the advertised standard.

Download Speed: 304 kbps (38 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 89 kbps (11.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Very bursty and laggy performance.

This is NOTHING to do with exchange contention.My line doesn't have a fault..let alone a temp fault that only affects it during peak hours. I am not interested in PAYG. I am interested in BB+ as it was before last Wednesday.
Stop fobbing us off.

How many days of continual substandard performance do we have to endure before we can make a claim for compensation?
Community Veteran

Hmmmmmm odd this.

My speed are now back to approx 2/3 of what they were last week peak time. Get around 2.5-3meg on speedtesters, but its still not as smooth as it should be. Still laggy and stuttery, indicative of packet drop. I am currently on ptn-ag1. It it worth raising a ticket at all, as all plus will say iis its contention, and in reality, the sppeds are not that bad now. I am just aggreaved that nothing has been said or done. I appreciate the causes and effects may be different, but me, as others have:-
1.. No problems with line
2.. No modem/ router issues
3.. No sync issues ( been synced at current level of 5335 for 2 days, rebooted myself)
4.. Done nothing to my line/router or PC ( even though I could set fire to my PC and it would not effect internet speed!!)

I will continue to monitor, but even though its better, something is still a little amiss somethere.
N/A

Hi there,

Appreciate that it isn't an answer, but looking at your usage you would be better off on the Broadband PAYG product, and still pay a similar amount.

Broadband Plus will always get the poorest performace across our three main products in light of the way that they are prioritised in light of the fact that the £14.99 price tag only buys a small amount of bandwidth.

I think your advertising should more explicitly reflect the last paragraph ie that BB+ will buy you a frustrating experience and often unusable service. I understand the prioritisation but thought the main differentiator was the volume cap - not speed until the volume cap was reached.
Azagoth
Grafter

Perfect for surfing, email, chatting and shopping

It states that BB+ is perfect for surfing. I'm sorry but which part of taking 30 seconds to open Google, and other websites, is perfect? Perfect would be if the speeds didn't drop to sub-dial up every afternoon.
Community Veteran

Hi there,

James - if that is your approach then you should really stop selling BB+ as broadband at all. + is limited in that you cannot download files at anything like a sensible speed. It should not be restricted for normal surfing - this is what it is sold (as an up to 8MB/s service) for.
N/A

I'm in the same baot. My connection normally runs at 4.5mbps and drops to 3 or possibly 2mbps in the evenings. As of early last wee my speeds have been dropping to less than 120kbps in the evenings. In the morning it is fine at 4.5mbps.
I can't do anything with this poxy connection. I want to use xbox live, but the speed is so bad that once the 360 has connected to the net, the slow speeds cause it to crash.
PN have asked Tiscali to run tests on my line. They thought there was some noise and lost blocks or something. I can't see how the problem is my end since I haven't changed a thing in the setup and it's fine in the morning.
Something must be screwed somewhere for this to be happening all of a sudden. If this is contention then I'd be better off on dialup.
I should be leaving PN in a flash, but the buggers switched me onto LLU without me realising and now it'll cost me to leave.
So I have to pay for a crap connection.
Community Veteran

So.... are we seeing slow speeds on BB+ on both LLU and IPStream thenHuh If so, then exchange contention cannot be the issue AFAIK.