cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish change of address experience

N/A

Has anyone else had a bad experience transferring Force 9 broadband from one address to another?

I provided all of the information they could possibly need; well in advance and they have decided that I would really enjoy and appreciate a week without broadband *just* when I need it the most to do housey stuff. Oh yes, I will also enjoy paying for it too.

Having ploughed through the customer support log, I find the week's delay buried deep in the small print. Absolutely nowhere did I ask for it.

BT set a shining example when they transferred my landline at exactly the right time.

Mr Angry.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Brilliant. Force 9 have just sent me this after telling them a fortnight ago that I wanted broadband moved to my new address on 11th June.

"We have been informed that a cancellation order (also known as a PSTN
cease) has been placed on your telephone line. This is due for completion
on 25/06/2007

This will also mean that your broadband service will be stopped."

This really enriches my life.

I love listening to tacky 'hold' music for 15 minutes each time and then being fobbed off with contradictory information, depending on which unlucky person I talk to.

I love firing off questions into a black void in 'My Questions' and getting no clear information.

I love not being able to do all the home emailing and broadband that I needed to do from my new house.

I love Force 9. (probably Stockholm Syndrome)

Mr. Jaded
N/A

Like nuclear fusion, broadband switch-on is always promised to be an actual event. Sometime in the future. Todays estimate is the 21st. On Tuesday it was the 19th. Just take today's date and add 7.

Would you be happy moving house and finding that the electricity, gas and water were going to be off for 10 days until the utilities can be bothered to get off their bottoms to throw a switch somewhere to get you connected?

I need my broadband, Force 9. Where is it?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

Has anyone else had a bad experience transferring Force 9 broadband from one address to another?

I provided all of the information they could possibly need; well in advance and they have decided that I would really enjoy and appreciate a week without broadband *just* when I need it the most to do housey stuff. Oh yes, I will also enjoy paying for it too.

We've no problem with refunding you for any period of time you were without an active service on either line.

Having ploughed through the customer support log, I find the week's delay buried deep in the small print. Absolutely nowhere did I ask for it.

I'm assuming you're referring to the downtime? Did you retain the same number? AFAIK, it's pretty clear on this page what the charges and associated downtimes are.

Brilliant. Force 9 have just sent me this after telling them a fortnight ago that I wanted broadband moved to my new address on 11th June.

"We have been informed that a cancellation order (also known as a PSTN
cease) has been placed on your telephone line. This is due for completion
on 25/06/2007

This will also mean that your broadband service will be stopped.

This will have been due to the fact that BT Retail cancelled the broadband on your old line. This is what's known as a PSTN cease (normally due to cancellation of contract or a change of account holder. If the order for this was placed before we began processing your house move then it's likely we'll have just let this order run it's course (as it would take us longer to cancel and replace our own). The notification is sent via an automated system which wouldn't have 'known' you were in the middle of a house move.

I love listening to tacky 'hold' music for 15 minutes each time and then being fobbed off with contradictory information, depending on which unlucky person I talk to.

I'd like to think that our support staff are consistent with their answers. If you can provide evidence to the contrary then I'd be happy to look into things.

I love firing off questions into a black void in 'My Questions' and getting no clear information.

Again, if you have any specific ticket ID's then I'd be happy to take a look.

Would you be happy moving house and finding that the electricity, gas and water were going to be off for 10 days until the utilities can be bothered to get off their bottoms to throw a switch somewhere to get you connected?

No, but I don't personally think this is comparable and you need to understand the wholesale limitations that are involved when supplying ADSL. The process for moving from one location to another and the manner in which each service is supplied is completely different.

I need my broadband, Force 9. Where is it?

My comments so far have been pretty much based on assumption so I will take a look at your account now for you. I'm sorry for the inconvenience the move seems to have caused you.

Kidn Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

First; thanks for being the first F9 representative to reply and seem to take an interest.

"I'm assuming you're referring to the downtime? Did you retain the same number? AFAIK, it's pretty clear on this page what the charges and associated downtimes are."

I'm sure a page exists somewhere with this information on it, but I don't remember being warned about 10 days downtime in my sign-up. It's a new BT number.

"We've no problem with refunding you for any period of time you were without an active service on either line"

Good, but that could be made clearer too.

"This will have been due to the fact that BT Retail cancelled the broadband on your old line. This is what's known as a PSTN cease (normally due to cancellation of contract or a change of account holder. If the order for this was placed before we began blah blah"

Customers just want broadband. They're not really interested in the F9/BT politics.

"I'd like to think that our support staff are consistent with their answers. If you can provide evidence to the contrary then I'd be happy to look into things."

I don't record my phone calls. But the first chap on Tuesday implied that I'd requested the 19th. The second one said that the same-day transfer system was broken and apologised for only being able to do the 19th.

"No, but I don't personally think this is comparable and you need to understand the wholesale limitations that are involved when supplying ADSL. blah blah"

ditto about what customers need.

Anyway thanks for taking time out. I consider this improvised blog closed.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

OK, I've had time to look at your account now.

The trail of events goes something like this...

• 22nd May you requested your house move to take place at the end of May.
  • We placed a 'cease' order on your old line to complete 30/05/2007.
  • A few days later you advised that you wouldn't be moving in May and asked we put the order on hold.
  • It's not possible to put an order on hold so we had to cancel the cancellation that we'd placed for the end of the month.
  • On the 4th you got back to us asking that you were now moving on the 11th. Bear in mind at this point that any order to cancel or provide an ADSL service takes 7 days. Assuming an order had been placed immediately we may have been able to satisfy this, however...
  • As well as updating the existing open ticket it looks like you also submitted another request via the Member Centre. I think this may be when a lot of the confusion and problems arose.
  • Firstly, the system has it logged on this second request that you wanted your old line cancelling on the 12th and the new one activating on the 19th. The only thing I can put this down to is either system error, or the fact that you may have chosen the 'keep the same number' option. It seems suspicious that the dates are exactly 7 days apart (which is required if you don't change your number)
  • At this point we closed your original request.
  • The system then placed an order for the 19th to reactivate the service at the new address. You did question this but as the ticket was being handled by an automated system, it was not brought to the attention of our provisioning team.
  • A second thing happened at this point which is the fact that the system failed to place the cancellation request on your old line. I think this may have been either down to the duplicate request or because we had to manually cancel the first cancellation order.
  • You moved house and the BT account holder details at your old address were changed. As a result BT placed an order to cancel the broadband at the old address. They were able to do this because our system hadn't placed the cancellation as it did the first time round.
  • You were emailed when we received notification from BT that they were cancelling the service at your old address. this added to the confusion.

OK, if you've got this far then well done! I'll move on to the important stuff...

I've checked BT's systems and the order to reprovide your service has a completion date of the 20th. This should not be subject to change and may be done on the 19th. Best bet is to plug your kit in and wait for the ADSL light to settle.

I've refunded a month's service to your account for the inconvenience all this confusion and error has caused and responded to the tickets on your account in a bid to tidy things up a little.

I hope this goes some way towards explaining what went wrong.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Firstly, a genuine thanks for going out of your way to look into the details.

This is *good* customer service and a good advert for Force 9 / Plusnet (whatever brands). You were recommended to me 2 years ago on this basis.

Your description of the ADSL ordering / cancellation process makes it sound like I had ordered an aircraft carrier! All I wanted was a little wavy signal sending down my telephone line.

The processes by which F9 etc. / BT work together really have to be much more responsive and streamlined than this pitiful Monty Python Ministry of Silly Procedures cafuffle.
N/A

Went on the warpath to BT Broadband Wholesale and gave them a polite kick up the b*m (ADSL monopoly, no incentive to accelerate BB moves, report to OFCOM blah blah etc.). Miraculously, my broadband was working on Sat 16th; just when I really needed it!