cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers with phone sockets for VOIP

churtonst31
Grafter

A number of routers now have phone (RJ11) sockets on them, to allow traditional phone handsets to be connected directly for use with VOIP.

e.g. Draytek 2800VG, ZyXEL Prestige 2602HWL or Zoom X5V

Some of them talk about PSTN fallback. Others don't. I'm actually pretty confused about what does what.

- I want to be able to make calls over the PSTN and over VOIP from the same handset, connected to my modem.
- I want to be able to receive calls over my old PSTN number and any incoming VOIP calls, all through the handset connect to my modem.

Does anyone on this forum know if this is this 1. realistic, and 2. possible? And 3, which devices allow this?

Help, as always, much appreciated!

Simon
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You will find this and much more over on uk.telecom.voip.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Re: Routers with phone sockets for VOIP

Some of them talk about PSTN fallback. Others don't. I'm actually pretty confused about what does what.

Welcome to the world of early adopter technology Wink

Fallback is process whereby, if the VoIP gatway (in this case incorporated into a router) fails (for example, a powercut), then you will still be able to make phonecalls through the connected POTs handset.

This is usually a simple passthrough of the POTs line, via the gateway, to the handset, incuding the LV supply on the line to power the handset (this is howcome standard phones can work through powercuts).

- I want to be able to make calls over the PSTN and over VOIP from the same handset, connected to my modem.
- I want to be able to receive calls over my old PSTN number and any incoming VOIP calls, all through the handset connect to my modem.

These are features that you will find on some gateways. The Draytek you list certainly supports all of the above.

Neil
MrToast
Grafter

I have the ZyxEL Prestige. Its does what you ask.

Whilst powered you need to dial a code to access the standard phone line. This is configurable by the user. (I chose #).

A limitation however, is that caller display for incoming PSTN calls doesn't come through.
Simon_M
Grafter

See also www.intertex.se (it's in English) & maybe also www.xten.com to complete the picture.
churtonst31
Grafter

That's interesting to hear about the Draytek and Zyxel models. I had convinced myself that they didn't work like that and they only had fall-back, not a VOIP opt-out. That makes me quite tempted to purchase the Draytek now... I'll head over to their forums and see if my post there has been answered!
N/A

I have a draytek 2600VG (older version of 2800VG) and have got on well with it. It has 2 ports for VoIP, which can (if you want) be linked to 2 different providers at the same time, each with their own separate 'normal' phone number. In my case port1 is 0128x xxxxxx and port2 is 0845 xxxxxx . It also has a 4 port switch wireless lan firewall QoS etc etc. There is also quite a big following for the draytek in their forum at www.draytek.co.uk so I often go there for help/advice.

Chris
cwinters
Grafter

you could look at the fritzbox from avm which I'm just looking at now:
- 2 or 3 phone sockets
- can independently configure either or both to ring on multiple sip accounts or POTS
- can configure either socket such that dialing uses any sip account or POTS
- using prefix can override configured account for the extension to use another
- can add dialling rules eg
999 goes fixed line
UK other goes sip account 1
international europe goes sip account 2
other international goes sip account 3
etc
on power fail, fallback to POTS

plus call diversion, three-way conference call and other goodies

Chris
churtonst31
Grafter

Interesting Fritzbox. Looks like it does everything I want and for cheaper than the Draytek or the ZyXEL. Thanks!