cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers for tweaking your SNR, any luck anybody?

N/A

Hi

I'm yet another MaxDSL person fed up with constant disconnections, I'm also one in the queue for plus.net to agree to raise my target snr. While I wait for them and BT I know a few people have said the Netgear DG834GT and Belkin 7633 have had some luck tweaking their snr via telnet... can anybody verify these experiments actually making their MaxDSL more reliable or suggest any other devices which can do the job?

I don't want to buy the belkin because it doens't look like it has good logging facilities like my present DG834G (so I'd loose any evidence that it was working any better) and the DG834GT seems pretty hard to actually find available to buy Sad

Matt
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The Speedtouch routers can be tweaked using this tool http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ see this thread for details link
Community Veteran

I don't think there's much difference between the DG834G and the DG834GT, apart from the GT being capable of 108Mbs. I got the GT by default - I thought I was getting the G but the listing had the model number wrong (either that or the one I ordered went to someone else and they sent me the next one up). It was a 'returned goods' bargain from MacWarehouse/Microwarehouse, where they're easy to find - current count shown in stock is 46.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

i actualy gained 3db by removing the master socket faceplate and connecting my modem to the internal phone socket inside also you can try pulling the ring wire as i've heard that improves noise margin.
Look here
ScoUK
Grafter

I'm using DG834GT and tweaking the settings should in theory work I did a few tests last week and although I didn't have any reliability problems the snr was definitely tweak able by increasing it , which should make the connection more reliable. Although i'm not sure how the BT system will pick things up. Whether it will detect the higher SNR then try and connect faster to adjust.. Not entirely sure, perhaps someone else can confirm, I think the BT BRAS system tries to push your line so it floats around the 6db SNR range. So adjusting it up to 10db by tweaking, BT may try and fight against the tweak to drop it to 6db again..

But just a word of warning... IF you do start "tweaking", don’t "tweak" too many times in an evening... I did (duh) and ever since then my line has been set with interleaving on.. Sad Was a perfectly reliable line syncing at 2->2.5Mbit and ever since I was tweaking the DG834GT to see what effect it would have, Interleaving was bolted on and I cant get any more than 512Kbps download Sad (although SNR is stable at around 15db)

Waiting for it to get removed just now, before I can continue testing.

Grrr!
N/A

The DG834G is different to a DG834GT and you will only be able to tweak on a DG834GT. Unfortunately, unless you repackage the firmware with an edit to the setup scripts, the tweak is lost at the next reboot.

I successfully raised the SNR on mine to give an SNR that was varying between 23dB and 6dB on a second by second basis, that is how bad my line gets!!
Community Veteran

The DG834G is different to a DG834GT and you will only be able to tweak on a DG834GT. Unfortunately, unless you repackage the firmware with an edit to the setup scripts, the tweak is lost at the next reboot.

Sorry, I didn't realise that from reading the specifications at the time but looking at a comparison see it accepts remote management. My apologies.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

i actualy gained 3db by removing the master socket faceplate and connecting my modem to the internal phone socket inside also you can try pulling the ring wire as i've heard that improves noise margin.
Look here

To my suprise my ringer (orange/white wire) wasn't even connected in the BT master socket. BT installed a new socket a couple of weeks ago, seems they didn't bother to connect them, the orange wires we both free only the blue ones hooked up. That's a bonus anyway, 1 thing ruled out. Didn't make any difference to my snr by plugging into the master socket with faceplate off either.

Seems the routers are tweakable only if you have a broadcom chipset, shame my DG834G doesn't...

I am assuming the speedtouch tweaks also disappear if you loose power to the router.

Here's hoping BT set my snr to something more sensible before I go nuts, will look for one of these broadcom based routers I think in the mean time.
Nocturne
Grafter

You might consider a router which allows you to set the maximum Sync Speed which I would suggest is a better option.

It doesn't matter what the SNM is when you power up because your speed cannot exceed what you have determined is a 'safe' value.

You can maintain a speed which precisely matches a Bras value rather than sync higher, with a lower SNM, to no advantage.

Belkin and Billion amongst others offer such routers.
N/A

You might consider a router which allows you to set the maximum Sync Speed which I would suggest is a better option.

It doesn't matter what the SNM is when you power up because your speed cannot exceed what you have determined is a 'safe' value.

You can maintain a speed which precisely matches a Bras value rather than sync higher, with a lower SNM, to no advantage.

Belkin and Billion amongst others offer such routers.

I've doe quite a bit of looking around but never seen this feature, can you suggest some models for me?
Nocturne
Grafter

The only specific reference I've found is the Belkin 7632, Voyager 205 and Vigor 2800.
One or more of the Billion routers apparently offer it but I don't know which.
As I remember at least one of these I think is just a router and does not include a modem.

Tweaking SNM seems to have grabbed most of the attention and getting info on routers which control the max sync speed isn't as easy.

This link will give you some info but you will have to dig around a bit.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter

I haven't bought one myself yet but personally I think they are a far better option.
They could work particularly well with BT's new Blip Fix

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44691

A bit complicated but instead of the 3 day loss of throughput for a one off bad sync just 75 mins, other things being equal.
N/A

New NTE5 Faceplate

Read about this and bought on from ASDL Nation for £12.

Fitted and gained an extra 1 mbit/s sync rate.

Might be worth a try rather than router tweaking?
Community Veteran

The only specific reference I've found is the Belkin 7632, Voyager 205 and Vigor 2800.

There was a post on usenet the other day in uk.telecom.broadband stating the Voyager 205 allows you to set a target/wanted sync spped rather than the SNR target ... some would argue this is better.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

[
To my suprise my ringer (orange/white wire) wasn't even connected in the BT master socket. BT installed a new socket a couple of weeks ago, seems they didn't bother to connect them, the orange wires we both free only the blue ones hooked up.

The ringer wire isn't used on an incoming BT line. The orange wire is only used on internal wiring between a Master LJU and any slave sockets. This is because slave sockets don't contain a capacitor for converting the ringing current from the line. Therefore the ringing is converted by the master and carried to slaves via the ring wire on contact 3 of the sockets.
For a master installation only the blue wires need to be connected on 2 & 5.