cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router syncs OK, but unable to connect

IanD
Grafter

My router syncs OK, but I am unable to connect at all. Have tried both BT Test settings that PlusNet provide. Previously, this has always kick-started my connection, however, this time nothing works.

Does the sync light mean anything other than the fact there is an ADSL signal on the line? I was under the impression that once it was solid, a router or modem should be able to connect.

Currently online with the backup 0808 number, but not very practical as it ties up the phone line. Sad

Any other ideas of ways to try and get back online?
3 REPLIES
N/A

I have had this fault for a while - sync but no IP.

Yesterday it took about 1.25 hours of continually trying.

Not resolved where the problem is.
Community Veteran

I wasn't getting a connection on Friday after the router was switched on in the morning, despite syncing OK. I ran the set-up wizard on the router and it connected successfully but via PPoE instead of PPoA.

I raised a ticket about this and the only advice was to switch the router off for an hour and try again, which did the trick and I was able to get the connection back normally.

Have you tried PPoE just in case it works? (I'm assuming that you've both done the switching router off for a while and on again exercise already.)
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
IanD
Grafter

My router (Buffalo WMR-HR-G54) asks for a PPoE connection and doesn't offer PPoA. I've tried powering down for a while and restarting, changing to the BT test login settings and a complete reset of the router.

Seems to be the BT test settings normally gets the connection running, but yesterday nothing worked for a couple of hours.

Got a big list of questions from PlusNet to fill in - will see if they have any more ideas.

To me, it seems like some form of bottleneck happening on the line, which I can usually clear with a BT Test.

Seems to be happening every second weekend, or perhaps this is as long as it takes for the speed to drop off to be too slow to be any use.